Monday, June 11, 2018

Sew Simple Shapes Series - Week One - Block One Tutorial!!


Well hello there! 
These four blocks are part of a new 
Sew Simple Shapes Series
 of tutorials that will be here on my blog.

For the first project in the series...
I'm going to be using all of my 
Sew Simple Shapes 
to make one quilt!
All of the blocks will be
 12" x 12" finished.

I thought it would be 
really fun to show you that
 my shapes are not only for making 
"just that one quilt"
 that they were designed for...
but can and should be used 
for many other projects...
and in different ways that
 you may never have thought of!

The two blocks on the bottom 
and the one on the top right 
are made using my new set 
available next month called
 Autumn Love.

Currently...
 there are 5 different sets
 and so I will be
 starting the tutorials using 
the sets that are available now
 and when Autumn Love gets here
 I'll do those tutorials as well.

Today's block is the one
 on the top left 
and I made it using 
some of the shapes
 in my BLOOM set:)




Are you ready for this new adventure?!
Let's sew!
 Grab your BLOOM set...





And your package of 



Trace around your shapes 
directly onto the interfacing.
Here are the shapes that 
we will need for this block
 and how many to trace: 
A-1 trace 5
  A-2 trace 1
  A-12  trace 4
 A-16 trace 12
I like to use a mechanical pencil
 for a nice thin line.



Dig into your quilty stash...
it doesn't take much for applique! 
These are the colors that 
I will be using for my quilt.
I have 4-5  different prints 
in each color...
 plus a solid to match each.



I'm using the same fabric for all of the stems in the blocks.
This gingham is from my Cozy Christmas collection and I cut a bunch of strips 5/8" wide and ran them 
through a 1/4" bias tape maker.

I have always kept my prepared stems
 wrapped around vintage spools.
This one happens to be an empty spool
 that my small Vintage Trim came on and I used it all:)



Decide which color and prints
 that you want for each shape.



Place the traced shape on your fabric 
with both right side up and
 sew directly onto your traced line.

I do not backstitch but instead I 
"over sew" 
a little where I start and stop
 to secure my stitches.



After sewing I cut about 1/4" or
 a little less around my shape.



I cut a small X in the 
interfacing ONLY 
and turn it right side out.



All the shapes are sewn...



And the "X's" are cut for turning.



I use the pointy end of this 
to shape each piece and 
then give them each a 
quick PRESS (not iron) 
on the fabric side.



I decided that I am going to 
use the same green solid
 (Riley Green Confetti Cotton) 
for all of the leaves or
 at least somewhere in each block.



You may have noticed that I like to
 add some stitching around 
my applique shapes when 
they are done with solid fabric.

I love the look and the added texture 
that the stitches create.
I use all six strands 
of my Aurifloss for the stitching.
I pre-mark my stitches 
with a mechanical pencil:)



One down and 3 more to go!
I do my stitching onto each 
individual piece before its appliquéd...



And hide the knots on the 
back in the interfacing.


Now let's talk about the 
background for the blocks.
I'm using my Bee Backgrounds...



And for each block 
I will use 2 prints 
and cut TWO 8" squares
 from each one.



On two of the blocks 
I draw a line on the back 
1/4" on each side from
 of diagonal center like this.



Then I place it with right sides together
 on the opposite print fabric
 and sew directly onto the lines.

Repeat for the other two squares 
and cut them apart in the center.



Press the seams open so that 
your block will lie flat.



You now have 4 half square triangles!
Sew them into a pinwheel like this.



I do trim the inner corners before sewing...



But I just leave the outer corners
 because they will be cut off 
when I trim the excess off of 
the block after applique.

I like to have my background fabric
 larger than needed during 
the applique process to allow for 
a little shrinkage and 
fraying of edges etc.



I also press these seams open.
I like to piece my backgrounds when I applique for several reasons.


I think it adds a lot of movement and interest to the block
 but because the seam lines are
 going in the center both 
diagonally and across both ways...
it makes laying out each block a breeze!

Now your background is ready.


Time to add the shapes and 
prepare for applique!
I cut 4 pieces of 3" long stems 
from my spool.



I use both glue and pins for this step.
I use glue by Sue Daley and it's my favorite...
I call it "Sue Glue" for short:)
I also use my 
they all come in this cute 
mason jar shaped container. 
I use the "applique" ones for this step.
I like to dump them into a pin bowl 
for easy grabbing:)
I also use my 
when laying out my pieces....
and of course...a design board!
You will need the large size
 for these blocks:)



First I place and then pin
 the center circles with one pin straight down into the design board.

I make sure that it's right in the center because that's important for this next step!

The seams on the pieced background along with my 12 1/2" Trim it Ruler make it easy peasy.



I measured 2 1/2" from the edge 
of the center circle and placed my flower center circle and 
pinned it into place like this. 
I made sure that the circle is centered across the seam line underneath.



Then I measured 3" in from the corner
 of my background and placed 
the center petal like this.
Just pinned it...no glue yet!



To place the side petals I measured
 1 3/4" from the edge like this
 and pinned into place.



Now you can lift up those pieces
 on each side...
keeping the pin in... 
and place a few dots of glue underneath.
 You can take the pins out after it's glued.

This is how I glue baste my stems...
and then the raw edges are 
tucked underneath the 
circles on both ends.



I placed my green leaves centered 
right on the seam line 
and just touching the center circle.



The same measurements are used for each quarter of the block so you can work your way around...
first pinning and then 
glue basting each piece.



You can leave your pins in 
for a few minutes until the
 glue completely dries...



or you can do what I do and lay 
my 12 1/2" trim it ruler on top 
and then a couple books on that
 to keep it nice and flat 
until the glue dries.

"Sue Glue" keeps your pieces in place
 while you applique...
whether by machine or by hand...
that's your choice!
However...
it is reposition-able if needed 
without ruining your shapes and
 also water soluble even though 
I don't wash it out.



Most of the time I like to hand applique
 my shapes but I have
 machine appliquéd too.
Either way I always use 
matching thread 
to each applique piece.

When I hand applique I just use the same stitch as 
traditional needle turn applique 
but my edges are already turned
 making it 
super relaxing and easy:)

When I machine applique...
 I just use a tiny zig-zag stitch 
and even though I change the 
thread on top to match the applique ...
I just use white in the bobbin:)




After applique use the 
12 1/2" Trim It Ruler 
to trim it down to that size.
Use all of the lines on the ruler 
and match them up to the seam lines
 and your block will be
 perfectly centered...
YaY!!
I always save this step until 
the very end when ALL of my blocks
 are appliquéd and I'm ready to 
sew them into the quilt.



Block Number One!!
I love this block...
it reminds me of cute little 
forget me not blossoms.



I will be making 2 more blocks using the BLOOM set of Sew Simple Shapes and I will have those tutorials up next Monday!



I'm planning on making for sure 16 different blocks for this 12" Sampler Quilt...
and maybe even 20:)
I'll be doing 2-3 blocks a week until finished.
The setting will be VERY SIMPLE so that
 each different applique block 
really shines!
I hope you will sew along with me
 while I play with the 
Sew Simple Shapes!
xx
Lori

1 comment:

Annie tries said...

Will these designs work for raw edge appliqué?
I love all of your work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails