Friday, March 19, 2010

Ferris Wheel Quilt...

Yesterday I had a little bit of time to put some blocks together... YAY!...I started this quilt last summer and I am just now getting back to it now.
The quilt is from Quilters Newsletter Magazine - May 2005. Yes, it's an oldie but a goodie. The quilt was designed by Kathy Munkelwitz of Minnesota.

I used alot of old 36" wide cotton fabric that I got from my Grandma with a nice mix of repro's for a very vintagey look.
In the magazine the quilt is called "Jewels"...but I think mine looks like Ferris Wheels so that's what I'm calling mine.

This is the square block...the whole quilt is made with templates. Everything is on the bias which made it a little tricky to work with but it wasn't too bad.
I didn't make a queen size like in the magazine because I didn't want to use it for my bed. Instead, I wanted to make a square quilt for my kitchen table.
I only needed to make 4 of these square blocks ....

....and 8 of these triangle blocks.




Here are the 4 square blocks stitched together.
This is where you really start to see the design come together!



Then I made 4 of these corner pieces out of the 8 triangle blocks and stitched one to each side of the 4 joined square blocks...



...and now you can see the Ferris Wheels turning round and round under the star-lit sky at the county fair...can you smell the cotton candy and feel the soft summer breeze through your hair?
I still have to add the borders and a little ric-rac...but all in all I'm pleased with the progress that I was able to make on it so far.
Tomorrow is my day to have Sophie Belle...maybe when she takes a nap, I can put the borders on...(that is if I don't take a nap with her)...LOL! That's what usually happens because I like to rock her to sleep and then I rock myself to sleep too!
So for now, my ferris wheels will stay on the design wall in my studio...they fit there perfectly don't you think?

post signature

18 comments:

Michele said...

What a neat pattern! I love all the fabrics you used.

Betsy said...

Lori it is beautiful

Unknown said...

I love, love, love your version! And what a perfect name!

Kim Brackett said...

What an awesome quilt! I'll have to dig through my magazines to find the pattern. It's adorable!

Kim Walus said...

I really really like this pattern and it's so darling in the green frame of your design wall. You faked me out because I thought you had framed it instead of putting it on your table. I'd love to see it after it's quilted too.

whitey said...

Love it! This is one ferris wheel that does not make me motion sick.

Elizabeth said...

I love it! That is a really great design and your fabrics are just perfect for it!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very nice! I love your name for it too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have a little stack of feedsacks that was my grandmother's, I have used a piece here and there in things just to make it special, but I generally just hate to cut it up, not to mention it's a lot thicker than the fabric we buy today.

Unknown said...

Absolutely LOVE it! Have a great day!

Meredith said...

It is well worth the wait

Jodi Nelson said...

Very cool quilt!

Chookyblue...... said...

love the ferris wheel.........looks great........

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful Ferris Wheel topper Lori. Yes, rock Sophie Belle. The border can wait.

Browndirtcottage said...

This is a fantastic quilt Lori...I especially enjoyed the close-up of the 'old' & 'new' fabrics you used!

Joyce said...

I love the pattern! Those fabrics are great! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

Well of course I love it. Love the unique design. I haven't seen this before. And the fabrics are no less than perfect. Perfect for a table topper.

Rae Ann said...

Oh... Lori! I am over her shaking with a case ot the ENVY'S! I adore all of the gorgeous fabrics that you have inherited and used in this quilt. I would love it if you were to share that cute pattern with me!:) Love the name as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails