Monday, July 18, 2011

Easy Flying Geese Tutorial...

Hello again cute people!
Today I'm going to show you how to make flying geese segments without cutting triangles...
instead...
you will cut squares and rectangles!



How do you know which size to
cut them you ask?
Well...this is how you figure it out!
You need to know the FINISHED size only 
of the flying goose that you
are going to make...so get your graph paper out and do the math like I showed you in
For the block I am doing today...
the finished size of the block is 6" x 6".
That means the flying goose segment measures
1 1/2" x 3" FINISHED...so
 I will add my 1/2" seam allowance
to the finish size for a measurment of
2" x 3 1/2"...
That is the size I cut my rectangle!
Now what size do you cut your squares???
You will cut 2 squares (one for each corner)
The math is easy on this one...
you will ALWAYS cut the squares the small measurment of the cut rectangle...so that means you will cut 2" x 2" squares.
Lay a square onto one side of the rectangle with right sides together and stitch accurately from corner to corner.
I always clothesline my pieces to save time ...and thread!
So when the block that I'm making has more than one goose in it...
I run them through the machine
one right after the other...
that's how I roll...
and that's how geese fly:)

Give them a quick press to set the seams...

Trim off the excess leaving about a
1/4" seam allowance...

...and press towards the small triangle.
Make sure that you "press" instead of iron so that you don't end up with a wonky goose!

It should look like this ...one side complete!


Now lay the other square on the other side with RST and...

 Stitch from corner to corner...
paying close attention which direction
that you need to stitch
so that it becomes a goose...
not an ugly duckling...
whoops:(

Other side of my geese clothesline stitched:)

You know the drill...give em a quick press...
A quick trim...

And press towards the small triangle.

Yay!...it should look like this.
An accurate 2" x 3 1/2" unfinished flying goose made without cutting triangles:) 

Now lay your block back out on your
and stitch it together.


Sew...what do you think?
Does this look easy peasy to you?
Will you try it?
6" x 6" finished block.
Fabric used = Sew Cherry

If you want...
tomorrow I will show you how to
make a "square in a square"
without cutting triangles
Interested?
Just let me know.
Have a quilty kind of day my friends:)
xx
Lori 

36 comments:

dream quilt create said...

Oh yes, I'm interested :) Your tutorials have helped so much, I am off and running with my graph paper, cute little binder and page protectors and all the fabric and excitement and encouragement I need to work on my Farmer's Wife quilt.

Elaine said...

Sure am interested, you make it seem so easy

DevonMaid said...

Yes please! I've had FW on the back burner for some time now, while I finish other projects ... I'm so glad I didn't start until I'd read round all the problems so many folk have had with piecing. Your tutorials will make all the difference once I finally get going!

Penny said...

Yes please! I've now received my Farmer's Wife book and I'm looking forward to starting the blocks so your tutorials have been very well- timed and helpful. Thankyou so much.

Gabriella said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Your tutorial are very very interesting and useful ... Now I'll use always your method easy peasy!!!!!!

Thank you Lori ^__*

Carol said...

Wonderful! And oh yes! Square in a square will be great! Looking forward to it!

Jocelyn said...

Thanks so much for all these great tutorials Lori. I hope you will file them in one of your drawers for future reference ;-)

trish said...

Yes. Please.
Thank you Lori for taking the time to show us how to piece blocks. :o) I really appreciate it! You are a fabulous teacher. :o)
Sincerely, Trish

Mommarock said...

Always interested in tutorials. Nothing wrong with learnin...:)

Caro said...

Would love to see your technique. Thanks for sharing.

Nedra said...

You make it look so easy! I am so happy to know the math on how to construct my own FG blocks now. And yes, more tutes please! (I feel a little bit like hungry Oliver holding out a cup)

A mom said...

I'm interested too Lori! Thanks for the tutorials! Jo Anna

The Retired Mama said...

Yes please. I am not part of a quilting group so any cool little tricks I learn has to come from people like you. And I am totally one of those people who need to be shown how to do things. I so very much appreciate your tutorials and all the pictures that show the step by step process. Thank you for taking the time to make your blog about teaching others to sew.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the great Flying Geese tutorial. I stopped quilting for a few years but now am getting back into it. The tutorial is a great refresher.

Sandra (Cherry Heart) said...

I am loving these tutorials so much, you have no idea! Yes please to more of them. I've been wanting to have a go at quilt blocks for about a year and never quite got around to starting, but you've made it seem so straight forward I'm definitely go to take the plunge now.

Thank you for the courage!

S x

Stephanie said...

I wasn't going to do FWQAL because I work but you make it so easy with the tutorials I have now purchased the book and hope to start this weekend! I bought the little binder and page protectors to do the math for the other tutorials you posted. Thanks!

Nanette Merrill said...

This is always how I've made mine, too. Easy is always best. Great tute, great photos.

Rossana said...

Thank you for this tute! I'm interested for the next!
Your tutorials are a big help for me!

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in a square within a square.

Sharon said...

Yes, please do more, your blocks are gorgeous!

Sharon said...

Ye, please do more. Your blocks are gorgeous!

Candice said...

Yes please!! I LOVE all these tutorials- I am teaching myself to quilt and these are making such a HUGE difference to me!! I appreciate it more than I can say! Thank you!!

Melissa L said...

I am very interested. I am also curious how you drew out this block on the graph paper. I got my binder and graph paper today and can't wait to get home and draw out the other blocks you have posted tutorials on. Thank you so much!!

Kim with a K said...

Thanks for another great tutorial!
I can't wait to get started!
I ordered a fat quarter bundle of Sew Cherry plus some extra yardage of the gingham and others!
Very excited!

Kim with a K said...

I would love to know how to make a "square in a square" without cutting triangles!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! Your tutorials are so easy to follow and are 'sew' appreciated!!! Thanks for sharing your talent and time!!! :)
~Terry~

Amy said...

Thanks again for another wonderful tutorial!!! Yes, I would really like a "square in a square" tutorial.

Pat said...

Yes, all tutorials are welcome. You make it look so easy.

tasha said...

cute cute cute and totally amazing! i used your tutoral for the autumn tints block....so i kinda cheated because i just used your measurements. is that bad? but it did make it really simple for me!! thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

exciteing how you have shown us the geese block or any blocks colors hold your eyes too stare like em would you do a star one please thanks sooooooo much by renee

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love all these tutorials. You make it look like I could do this. And I love your manicure too!

C'mon by if you have a chance - I'm having a giveaway!

Shannon said...

Thank you for the tips on how to make flying geese without a pattern size. I knew there had to be a trick to it. What a great block!

Tina said...

This is just great! And I would LOVE to see your tutorial for a square-in-a-square!!

Gina said...

i can not thank you enough for the tutorials you have done re making blocks without templates. i have been so frustrated & ready to quit being a farmers wife as i could not make a "square" square no matter what i did with 2 triangles. i am a newbie and really appreciate you sharing your expertise!!!!!!!!

Treva said...

I am so glad that I found you.
I love the "easy Peasy" directions of the flying geese. The squares & rectangles placement & chain sewing are amazing. Thank You.

Peace Be With You

Gogiii said...

That will be great. Can'twait. Then will you do diamonds! I don'tknow why I can't wrap my brain around the diamond. I don't even cut them right. Have a peaceful day. Thank you. Peazie

Related Posts with Thumbnails