Sunday, July 27, 2014

Saltwater Taffy Quilt Tutorial - Scrappy Happy Summer Sew Along!!! ...


Hello:)
I'm back!

Apparently I went on a 
little bloggy break from our 
 last week:)…I've been waiting until 
this quilt was quilted 
so that I could show it to you!

Meet my newest scrappy summer creation…
"Salt Water Taffy"
54" x 54"


I named it after saltwater taffy because
it's summer and salt water taffy is famous
 around here for being the favorite parade 
candy that's thrown out to the crowd:)
YaY for parades!

I also think all of the colors and the shape
 of the block looks like salt water taffy…
don't you?


This is one of the projects that I made with my leftover
fabric that was trimmed off the Easy Corner Triangles
on my 24" Summer Skies block:)


If you remember I showed you a super simple way
 to make half square triangles from the trimmings.
I ended up with 72 of them with 2 colors
like the ones pictured above on the left.
I set those aside for later…
 I'll show you the other project that
 I made with them next week:)


For this quilt I used the 144 half square triangles 
that are one half background and one half color.
I decided to take advantage of the fact that
there were sets of 4 or 8 in the exact same fabrics
and come up with a block using 4 matching 
half square triangles.

I sewed all 144 together like this…
and pressed the seams open
so that I could place each block any which way 
as I was playing with them and not have to 
worry about which way I had already pressed:)
I ended up with 36 blocks that measure 
6 1/2" UNFINISHED


I played with this setting first.
I call this block my
 "Salt Water Star"
and I love it!!!
 But since I had just finished my
 Summer Skies quilt with big star blocks…
I saved this for later...


And simply sewed the blocks together
all going the same direction…
and my Saltwater Taffy quilt was born!
I sewed 6 rows of six blocks…or in other words…
a 6x6 setting:)

I laid it out on some fabric on the edge 
 to see if I wanted
 to finish it off with just a binding…
I liked the way it looked
but doing it this way my quilt would only finish at 
36" square and I wanted it a little bigger.


So I added an orange inner border
 and a green outer border!
Cutting for borders…
From background; (1/2 yard total needed)
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 36 1/2"
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 38 1/2"
Sew these on first then add the orange border; (1/4 yard)
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 38 1/2" 
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 40 1/2"
Now add more borders of the background;
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 40 1/2"
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 42 1/2"
Now for the green; (1 3/4 yards lengthwise )
Cut 2 - 6 1/2" x 42 1/2"
Cut 2 - 6 1/2" x 54 1/2"


You will have enough border fabric 
to cut binding strips
but I wanted to use mine for
 another project so I used the same fabric for binding
that I used for the backing:)
Either way…
you will need 226" of prepared binding
which you can get from 1/2 yard of fabric:)


I love how my Salt Water quilt turned out…
it's a great size for the back of a chair…
a lap quilt...
a baby quilt…
a wallhanging…
or a table topper:)

Have fun with your
 half square triangles…
I can't wait to see them on the 
Scrappy Happy Summer


Remember that all info
as well as a link to 
each and every post
from this sew along 
can be found on the home page
See you there:)
xx
Lori

8 comments:

Cecelia said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to make this, you have once again made another great tutorial for us, thank you...BUNCHES!!!!!!

PennysRoom said...

I'm behind but by golly I have your pattern!!!!! I just love your stuff Lori and look forward to your posts!!!!!

Barbara said...

This looks adorable- nice job!

Mel Hopes said...

oh how I love taffy! And this quilt sings to my love for it. I love these great ideas that you post and even though I have not had a minute to sew along this summer... I would love to make time this fall and even love more to come to a class that you are teaching. Please let me know where you are teaching. I don't mind travel but live in Draper Utah so anywhere will work for me.
thanks again for all the inspiration you bring to my life.

Melanie

Mel Hopes said...

Lori,
I love this quilt. I love all your quilts and would love to take a class in person!!!
Please let me know where and when you are teaching. I am willing to travel!

Mel

Renee said...

Note to self...read the entire post before thinking you are nuts...I looked at the star block and then I kept looking at the finished quilt...thinking to myself..."crazy, how I don't see the star once it is all put together, I see the taffy & even 2 color pinwheels". I figured it out....love both ways to use those 1/2 square triangles.

kshackabq said...

That is such a fun quilt. And Salt Water Taffy is a perfect name/description. Think I'll make one with my 30's fabrics. Thanks for all your inspiration.

my happy bluebird said...

Wish I had these fabric scraps in my stash -- I adore everything about this quilt! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails