Friday, May 29, 2015

Farm Girl Friday - Week Five - Churn Dash Love and I Heart Gingham!!!






It's time for 
Farm Girl Friday
and its week five already!




Sorry if you did not
 grow up in the 70's
and don't understand 
why I named
my block
Cool Threads …lol



This is when I was sewing my 
6" Cool Threads block
for my Quilty Barn Along...



And it eventually 
ended up in this quilt!


Pattern is on page 92

This is my 12" Cool Threads block 
on page 20…
I just had to play
 in my gingham stash
to make this one!


It's no secret that I love gingham.










It's been a classic for a long time…
 I even loved it as a little girl
and my gingham crush
 continues to this day!


That's why I needed/wanted to
play with it a little more 
when making my
 Churn Dash block for this week's
Farm girl Friday:)
More on that in just a minute…
first let's talk about the 
classic Churn Dash block.


Instructions for both the
 6" and 12"size blocks are on
 page 19 of Farm Girl vintage.



Churn Dash is a traditional block and 
another that I have always loved.
It's simple to construct 
and there are several ways.

You can vary the 
look of the block by
using the background fabric
 for the large center square...



Or by using something different
 in the corners
for this kind of look.


Using a different color 
for the center square
makes it scrappy happy as well!


I decided to create a new
 Farm Girl Block called 
Churn Dash Love
I mixed the 12" Churn Dash
with the 12" Heart from the 
Baby Chick Block
on page 10.


The heart fits perfectly in the center!
P.S. It also works when you
 use the 6" churn dash
and the 
6" baby chick heart as well.

Nifty!!!


One of my goals when writing
was to show you 
several different methods
 on constructing patchwork
segments like for example
 half square triangles.

I wanted you to 
try them all out
and then be able to 
choose your favorite
according to your project
and cutting choices.

Knowledge is Power!!!
(another throwback phrase from the 70"s…
thank you Schoolhouse Rock)


Because of the method I used 
for the Churn Dash block
in my book…
You will have enough leftover fabric 
if you are sewing the
 12" size to use.
YaY!

I Love leftovers!
I use them for 
all of my 
scrappy happy blocks:)


When I have leftovers 
from sewing 
Easy Corner Triangles
I either;
 cut them into the 
largest size square
 that I can 
and add them to my scrappy stash.
 
or... 
I sew another seam 
 and end up with a smaller size
 half square triangle
for a leftovers project!


"Use it up - Wear it out 
MAKE IT DO 
or
Do Without!!"


I'll be using the 
Harvest Tablerunner setting
pattern on page 124
and making the large runner
with my Churn Dash Love blocks.


I have four made so far…
and YES!!!
I'm using some gingham for
 all of the hearts:) 



I'm making the large runner
because I already made a small 
Harvest Tablerunner 
using the Churn Dash:)


So grab your scrappy stash...
 make sure there is a few ginghams …
and make a 
#ChurnDashLoveBlock
 with me:)
Don't forget to use the 
#CoolThreadsBlock
and
#ChurnDashBlock
for your Farm Girl Friday's 
sewing this week!

to check out the schedule
to visit this weeks guest bloggers!


Have a quilty farming
kind of day!
See you here next week:)
xx
Lori

















11 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the addition of the heart. Churn Dash is one of my favorite blocks (my puppy's name is Dash!) I have sewn 35 of the 6" blocks so far and am so in love with this quilt and its scrappy look. Thanks for a great book!

Unknown said...

What a clever girl. I just loved the sugestion of using the left ivers if 12' block. That is so cool. Thanks Lori.

Quilts By Laurel said...

I've finished up my two blocks and posted them on my blog here: Quilts By Laurel. Love, love, love this whole book! :)

Little Quiltsong said...

Lori, I just finished a cute 'Heart' Wall Hanging, from your previous week's tutorial, for my sewing room. It was so much fun - I was ready to make a whole quilt with them. Thank You for this new idea - it sounds even more fun-filled. I keep veering off into larger projects with each of your blocks. Your book and your weekly, extra fun ideas, really help to motivate me :)! Thank You!!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

I'm right there with you on the gingham crush. Which is why I'm so excited I get to do your gingham block for the blog hop! Right before the 4th of July, no less. It's going to be epic!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my gosh! So much to look at! I adore gingham too! The churn dash is one of my favorite blocks to make. I said it before and I will say it again, the way you write your cutting directions we have very little waste. I hope to get these blocks done soon. Hugs

LynnMarie said...

I love the heart in the churn dash. AND the gingham---too cute. I love gingham and how cute is that yellow gingham couch?!!! Thanks for another great tutorial. I am several weeks behind due to some family medical issues this past month but am looking forward to catching up over the summer.

Jennifer said...

I love your blog Miss Lori. Setting up the new sewing room and hoping to join in soon...Love, LOVE it and I can't wait!

Pamela said...

Lip Smacker, by Bonnie Bell. Remember when it came in the HUGE tube? Ahhhh, great memories of days gone by. LOVE your stuff!

A Bear Mountain Pattern said...

Such FUN!!!
Your reference to the seventy was so cool. I LOVE IT>
And I understood all of it!!!!
I love the heart in the block. Thank you
And I too love love gingham. Anyone who grew up in the seventies had too. So happy.....
I had pillowcases of all the colors...Thanks for the memory

Michele said...

Oh my goodness...so many choices! I love your new book and wish every book had instructions as clearly written as yours. I truly appreciate you putting the "finished" measurement after every step! Nothing is more aggravating than having to take a block apart because step 1 was wrong! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails