Friday, July 31, 2015

Farm Girl Friday - Week 14!!! - New Companion Patterns Too!!!


Good morning cute people!
Today is not only the last day of July…
but it's also week 14 of our
sew along…and I'm having so much fun:)


So grab your book and let's get started:)
If you need a copy…


Turn to page 48 where you will find 
the instructions for our first block
Old Red Barn

Even though I already put two other barn blocks in the book…
they were larger and I needed to 
add a 6" and 12" size to play with and
 also for the sampler quilt!

I chose to use a quarter square triangle block
 for the door to imitate the "X" on a traditional barn door:)

In the book I show you my easy peasy method
 for making these quarter square triangles.
 It's my favorite way and always scrappy fun!


Next block up is 
Old Glory
on page 47
You know that I am proud to be an American
 through and through and so of course
 my Farm Girl book would not
 be the same without Old Glory…
farming is rooted deep 
in our American heritage:)


So today I have a
big surprise for you:)
Even though you already have 
a good amount of  
Farm Girl blocks in
 the book to play with…
(45 total to be exact)
I have a few more to 
add to the pile 
if you want them!



Meet Penny Pig!
I designed this new block last month
(along with several others)
for my students in my three consecutive 
Farm Girl Vintage workshops last month.


We had so much sew much fun 
with these new companion blocks
and I had so many requests for patterns 
from those of you who did not attend
my workshops.

So this week we have two of them ready
(Penny Pig is the first)
as a PDF pattern available at
Fat Quarter Shop
if you would like to make Penny
and add her to your Farm Girl Vintage block collection!

I have given cutting instructions for Penny in 
both 6" and 12" sizes just like in the book:)


Here is the second companion pattern that 
I designed for my workshops…
 Apple Picking!

I made this Apple Picking quilt that finishes
at 48 1/2" square
which is a perfect size 
for the farm table
in my kitchen this fall!
and of course
 I used red gingham for the border!



The pattern is for the quilt…
the 3 different apple blocks…
in both 6" and 12" sizes:) 

if you want to pick some apples!


These are Kimberly's 6" blocks
for this weeks Farm Girl Friday.
She made them with my current fabric collection

When you add yours to social media-
please use the hashtags
to join in on the fun and
so that we can see them!

#OldGloryBlock
and
#OldRedBarnBlock


Of course Kimberly also made a 6"

#ApplePickingBlock
and
#PennyPigBlock

I can't wait to see yours!


to see this weeks schedule to visit 
our cute guest bloggers!

P.S. I want to show you the quilt
that I made using Penny Pig and
 3 other Farm Girl Blocks from my book:)


I used my Farmhouse Lane setting
on page 128 of my book.
Instead of making nine 12" Farmhouse blocks…
I made nine 12" Penny Pig blocks.
Then in place of the six
 tree blocks in-between the houses…


I used 6" Sunny Sunflower blocks
and 6" crops blocks.
When you sew these together they 
measure exactly the same size as the trees:)


This is a progress photo 
in my studio back when I was 
 auditioning the placement of the blocks.
You can see that my book is opened 
to the Farmhouse Lane quilt page for reference…
along with other 
random quilty things in the background:)


I made sixteen of my 6" Apronstrings blocks 
and made the rows in-between the pigs and flowers
instead of the sixteen Welcome blocks
that I used in the Farmhouse Lane quilt.


All borders and sashing measurements 
are exactly the same as in the book…
nothing different at all…
just substituted different blocks.


Here it is right before quilting...


And here it is after
 the cute swirly quilting 
(but no binding yet)
at one of my workshops.
I'm peeking at you
 from behind the quilt
 along with my super
 cute quilty peep Shanna:)


I have several more companion blocks
 and patterns to be released 
after each of my 
Farm Girl Vintage Workshops 
this year and I can't wait 
to show you 
each and every one of them!

I'll have all info about them 
on my friday blog posts here...
and as always
I always have lots and lots 
of sneak peeks on my
 Instagram!

I hope you enjoyed 
this weeks episode of 
Tune in next week 
for more down home fun!

xx
Lori








16 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh Lori!! I already found your new patterns and bought and downloaded them. I was 'studying' them all last evening. My oldest daughter is a vet tech in a huge nursery 'piggy' barn. She was sooooo excited when I told her, that I have a pig block pattern. She is our family 'Farm Girl'! Your new wonderful apple pattern is a must for our youngest daughter, who loves fruit - period. Thank you for your new patterns, they will be loved like all the rest of your wonderful blocks. Looking forward to your next new releases!

Sunflower Days said...

I just love love everything about you!! I am leading a group of ladies in month 3 for your Quilty Fun book Row by Row in our Modern Guild. I just finished my first row, the coffee cups, and using vintage 30ish fabrics from about ten years ago. omg....I never really paid much attention to 30ish fabrics and a friend got rid of all of hers and gave them to me, and about the same time, I found you....it was meant to be!! I will post my coffee cups on instagram for you to see under Nanapam! God Bless you, you are such an inspiration to the sewing world! Pamie G. Texas

PS: We have a shop near San Antonio, do you do trunk shows, do you come to Houston Quilt Festival. Please let me know! Thanks!


Marji said...

I am new to Instagram, so far no postings of my own, but I have so enjoyed seeing so many Farm Girl Vintage related photos. I saw the retreat photos and the pig and apple blocks and immediately wanted those, too! I was thrilled when I saw the news that they would be available this week. I purchased them last night! Thanks for sharing how you did the Penny Pig Quilt! And thanks for all the cheerful photos!

Susie H said...

Your "Piggy Quilt" is so CUTE!!!!! I love the way you interchange your blocks and make totally different quilts. Can't wait to see the next extra blocks!!!

karin-lifeintheslowlane said...

We need a cow on the farm. Hint hint

Susan said...

I would love a cow too! We raised Black Angus cattle and blueberries. I would love to have a wall hanging with cows, barns, tractors and blueberries! Thanks for all you do to encourage us to be the boss of our own quilt.

Vickie said...

I was just tickled "pink" by the little pigs. And now I have been humming under by breath..........."this little pig of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...........". Thanks for my morning giggle!

gibbygoo56 said...

I love the Penny Pig block/quilt. She is adorable! I too am loving the apples. I am so excited that you are giving the rest of us the opportunity to have the extra blocks from your classes. Yeehaw! Fun down on the farm.

farmgirl16 said...

I've read some of the previous messages; and I would love a COW and a corn stalk. That would be great to complete my quilts. I am awaiting my book; but have my blocks and fabric picked out ! This is the best therapy a girl could ask for :)

Bonny said...

Oh you are so bad! I just purchased your Farm Girl book and absolutely love it and now you show me this adorable pig! Bad to the bone you are!
I definitely will need to get her!
I love your fabrics and your book is just so pretty to look at!
Thanks for making such wonderful patterns!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Yay! I saw the pig quilt during your retreat and knew I had to make it. I have store credit at the Fat Quarter Shop, so I will buy the pattern today. Thanks! :0)

Karen said...

I am an apple a day girl so definitely purchased the Apple Picking Quilt pattern! I think it is perfect for a table topper this fall! Ms. Penny had to come to my house too as I love pigs! I fell in love with Charlotte's Web the first time I read it as a child. Now on to that cow. As a child in the 60's my family traveled long distances to visit relatives up north. My favorite scenery was farms with milk cows! We are bothering you for a cow! But that could be another book. Farm Animals!

robinnan said...

Oh. my. gosh! I love this little piggy! AND the quilt you've made with it! I've been following along with your farm girl vintage. All the while, wishing i would have started this with you, but you have out done yourself with this little piggy quilt!!! they are all adorable! I can't wait to get my book and fat quarter pack and get started!!!

Merrilee said...

I haven't been able to keep up with the quilt-along though I love seeing what you're making! However, I couldn't resist Penny the Pig- I'm hoping to make a goat and pig quilt for my son- he does the county fair every year and your book has tons of inspiring blocks!!! Thanks for all your country designs!! Love them all.

susanne said...

Hello Lori. I purchased your new book back when it came out and girl I love, love, love it!I am back to blogging after a few months absence and intend to post a bit (showing the book cover) and letting people know what a bunch of adorable patterns you have come up with. Of course they can come here and see for themselves. Now I just need to get some yarn work done and hope to be sitting at my sewing machine soon. Only one problem....I am gonna have a hard time deciding what design to make first, they are all so sweet :)♥
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Anita said...

I love the new patterns. Will get them for sure! I want to sew a quilt of all barn blocks and have an animal block in each barn. Sew fun! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails