Monday, September 18, 2023

Home Town Sew Along - Week One - Flag House!!




"FLAG HOUSE BLOCK"



Welcome to week one of the 
"HOME TOWN"
Sew Along!
Do you have all of your "tools"
together for building a house today?

I hope that you will join me here each week 
when I will be doing two tutorials
 weekly...every Monday and Friday.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting 
one block tutorial each 
Monday and Friday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.



We are making the 
Home Town Quilt
75" x 84"
 
I've been getting ready for
when it was time to begin...
and now that time is here
and I'm going to have sew much fun
 building my neighborhood with you!!



The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Home Town:)

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Home Town Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.




We are also using the
Home Town
Sew Simple Shapes

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.



As per usual for the first block in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Flag House Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's the Flag House Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


Here is a list of the
  Home Town 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
1 - Q-1
2 - Q-3
1 - Q-7
2 - Q-9
1 - Q-13
4 - Q-16
4 - Q-17
1 - Q-22
2 - Q-27
1 - Q-32
1 - Q-41
1 - Q-56
1 - Q-57
1 - Q-62

You will need 2 prepared 3/8" straight
bias strips for the front porch roof.
One should be about 3"long after
pressing both ends under.
One should measure 2 3/4" long
after one end is pressed under.

You will need a 1/4" straight
bias strip for the flag pole.
Press both ends under.
It should now measure 11 3/4" long.
 
You will need one more
 1/4" straight bias strip for this block
and it is for the flower stem
and should measure 4" long.
 

Cut your background  
14" x 16"
and sew it to the 3 1/2" x 16" grass
pressing the seams open.
Now press in half for centering 
the house when pinning and glue basting:)


I took a top shot photo of my 
sewing table right before 
we starting filming:)


In my Home Town every house flew the flag
 on USA and State holidays and the 
cemetery was always decorated with 
beautiful flowers and a 
row of flags all around:)

During the parade in our annual 
Town Days Celebration every float
 AND rider on horseback...
(or sheep or cattle or bikes) lol
 flew the flag.

I grew up in a very patriotic town
 and of course I just had to design a
 Flag House for my Home Town Quilt:)

Hooray for patriotism!!




My Flag House is built...
with flag flying high and 
ready for applique!!!!



Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 trim down to 14 1/2" square:) 



Thanks so much for sewing with me today
 and for joining me 
 for the very first week of the 
Home Town Sew Along

 

I hope that you are going to love 
building your first house block...
and then we can be neighbors!

Sew Fun!

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next time for the 
Topiary House Block tutorial...
xx
Lori

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori! I know I’m on the wrong site for cross stitch Quilted Witch. Just got my supplies today & im so excited to get started. The QWitch is adorable. I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Quilted W quilt yet , but heavyly leaning toward getting it. Love all your designs & fabric lines wish I could do them all! Wishing the best to u & all your creativeness!!!Cfong

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to start! I love this quilt!

Related Posts with Thumbnails