Friday, October 20, 2023

Home Town Sew Along - Week Five - Cherry House Block Tutorial!!



"CHERRY HOUSE BLOCK"


Welcome to week five of the 
"HOME TOWN"
Sew Along!
Do you have all of your "tools"
together for building a house today?



Together we are making the 
Home Town Quilt
75" x 84"



The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Home Town:)

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Home Town Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.




We are also using the
Home Town
Sew Simple Shapes

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.


As per usual for the first block in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Flag House Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)


 Topiary House Block 
for the tutorial!


Pineapple House Block
for that tutorial:)


Sunflower House Block
for that tutorial


Bird House Block
for that tutorial


Tulip House Block

for that tutorial


Fireworks House Block

for that tutorial


Beehive House Block
for that tutorial


Here's the Sheep House Block 
that I showed you 
how to make last time:)
for that tutorial


Today we are building the 
Cherry House!!


Here is a list of the
  Home Town 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
1 - Q-1
1 - Q-4
1 - Q-7
1 - Q-11 (short version)
1 - Q-12
5 - Q-15
1 - Q-18
2 - Q-22
2 - Q-33
2 - Q-28
1 - Q-63


You will need prepared 
1/4" cut straight bias strips:
*cherry stems 1 - 1 1/4" long 
after both ends pressed under
1 - 2" and 1 - 1 1/2" long
*side tree branches 2 - 1 3/4" long

You will need prepared 
3/8" straight bias strips:
*Roof on side addition measuring 5" long
after pressing one end under.
*5 - fence pickets
1 - 3"
2 - 2 3/4"
2 - 2 1/2" 
long after you've pressed both ends
 under on all five pickets.
2 - 4" long for fence rails

You will also need a prepared 
1/2" straight bias strip for the
tree trunk 4 3/4" long 
after pressing one end under.


Lastly you will need a 1" prepared 
straight bias strip for the front porch.
It should measure 3" long 
after both ends are pressed under.  

Cut your background  
14" x 16"
and sew it to the 3 1/2" x 16" grass
pressing the seams open.
Now press in half for
 pinning and glue basting your block:)


*TAKE NOTE*
Trace the Q-4 SSShape 
for the side addition in reverse.


Time to sew the shapes!!


After trimming and before turning
 you will need to clip the cleavage 
in both of the shrubs... 
the roof...the tree and chimney as well.


Turned...shaped and pressed.
It's at this point that I realized
that I made a mistake:(


*My Whoopsie*
The Q-11 SSShape for the roof 
is the short version just like
 we did in the Tulip House...
but for some reason 
I did not trace mine short version
and sewed and pressed it long version.

So this is how I fixed it!


I turned it back to 
wrong side out and pressed.


Then I went ahead and traced the line
 onto the interfacing just like
 I would have for the short version...



And then sewed on my newly 
traced line and trimmed the excess.


Then turned it right side out again...
re-shaped and pressed:)
Just like it never happened! lol
Okay...now that the roof is fixed
we can build our house:)


I just couldn't wait 
so I started with the cherries.
Here is a close up of what I did...


Both cherries together measure 
about 3 1/4" wide and the 
top of the stem
to the bottom of cherries
 measures 3 1/2" tall.


Back view:)
Of course the leaves will go on later.




Next thing I did was glue the 
tree trunk to the tree measuring
2 1/2" up from tree bottom.
I tucked in the side branches
how I thought they looked good.

I also glued the roof
 onto the side addition and 
I also glued the side addition window
3" up from bottom and 1 1/2"
from it's left side. 

 Then I glued the house and roof together. 
I also glued the 
chimney to the roof
.
The chimney is 2" up from the roof.
Together from the top of chimney 
to bottom of house it's 11 1/2" tall
(to the bottom of the 
front porch makes it 12 1/4" tall)

I glued the door and front porch 
together and glued it 1" in 
from the left side of the house. 
I glued the half window
 centered 1/4" above the door.
 

I placed the four house windows 3" up
 from the house bottom and 3/4"
in from the right sides of 
the house and the door.
The windows are 1/4" apart 
from top and bottom rows.


Back view:)



Next place the house onto your background.
This house is NOT in the center 
of the block so use your center pressed
 crease to line up the right side 
of the door with that center crease
 as in photo.

Place the bottom 
of house 1 1/4" into the grass.
Use your ruler to keep it all straight.
 

Now build the side addition:)
Measurement is 3" out from 
the side of house.


Now plant the tree:)
Place the trunk 1 3/4" away from 
left side of house.
The tree is 12 3/4" tall from 
top to bottom of house addition.
Use your ruler to plant it straight!


Let's build the gate to the backyard:)
Place the bottom rail 1/4" up 
from the grass and then the top rail
 1/2" above the bottom rail.
The left ends tuck under the house 
and the right ends will be 
trimmed up and sewn into seam allowance
when the blocks go together.



Now glue the two shortest pickets
 to the outsides. 
They should measure 2 1/2" wide together
 and the left picket is a little under 
1/4" away from the side of the house.


Now add the center picket.
It measures 3/4" away 
from the others on both sides.



Lastly add the remaining two in-between.
Use your ruler at the bottom 
to keep them lined up.
 

 I added the shrubs 
1/2" in from
 the outside edges of the house
 and slightly down from the house bottom.




I placed the cherries so that 
the top of stem measures 
1" taller than the chimney top
and the outside of bottom cherry
measures 1 3/4" away from top
corner of the roof.


Okay!!!
It's time to Sue Glue everything down
and then check your measurements 
using the 14 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.
YaY!
My cherry House is built...
 
and 
it's ready for applique!!!!



Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 trim down to 14 1/2" square:)






 I just had to include
 a house with cherries in my quilt!
  
We had many cherry trees on our farm
(and they are still there)
The pink blossoms in spring
are gorgeous and smell like heaven.
Fresh cherries are my favorite fruit!
My dad has always taken very good care
 of his fruit trees and 
we always had a good crop:)
We picked the cherries using very
 tall ladders and bottled many jars and 
made them into jams and pies...
and yes cherry is my favorite pie:)
  



Thanks so much for sewing with me again
 today and for joining me 
 for the fifth week of the 
Home Town Sew Along



5" Home Town Pieced Blocks
#7 - #12 - #24 - #39



I did the seventh tutorial
for the 5" Home Town Pieced Blocks
on my YouTube channel as per usual.

These are the four blocks made with the
 called for prints in the guide 
that you will need to make for our quilt.
***NOTE***
The easy corner triangles are 
cut 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" square
and I show you when to sew them on
in my video tutorial.
It's a fun and easy method that 
I always use to make a churndash:) 






to watch the video
for #7 Home Town Block:)


And of course I also did another
 10" bonus block as well 
for my table runner project:)

I will continue the tutorials twice 
weekly during the sew alongs that we 
can be making our pieced blocks 
in-between the applique blocks!


If you are subscribed to my channel
 and have hit the notification bell
you will be notified immediately
as soon as each video tutorial is 
published and on my way from my
sewing room to yours!!


I'll meet you right back here
on my blog Monday for the 
Tea House Block tutorial...
xx
Lori

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails