Monday, January 29, 2024

Mercantile Sampler Sew Along - Week One - Birthday Cake Block!!




"BIRTHDAY CAKE BLOCK"



Welcome to week one of the 
"MERCANTILE SAMPLER"
Sew Along!

Are you ready to sew with me?

I hope that you will join me here each week 
when I will be doing two tutorials
 weekly...every Monday and Friday.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting 
one block tutorial each 
Monday and Friday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.



We are making the 
Mercantile Sampler Quilt
88" x 88"







The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Mercantile:)

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Mercantile Sampler Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.



We are piecing all 25 blocks 
and then turning them into a 
12" circle to applique onto a
 4-Patch Block background!

I detail all of the supplies 
that you need to make the quilt in my
 Bee Prepared post right here on my blog.


I have already posted the
 post which not only details
 all of the supplies needed but
 explains how this sew along works.
I have also given the links there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guides

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.
to download the sampler block
 sew along guide.



As per usual for the first block in my 
new fabric collection Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Birthday Cake Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)


I have been "busy as a bee"
cutting all of the blocks:)
I'm sew excited to make this quilt!

You can see the first block cut here
before I sewed it together in the video.
The remaining 24 blocks are 
each on a design board and 
stacked up and ready to sew!!


And of course each of the 25 blocks 
need a traced circle
onto the Sew-In Interfacing...


So I went ahead and traced 
the remaining 24 circles just
 how I showed you n the video.






Cutting each block should be 
"easy as pie"
or should I say cake lol
because of the sew along guide
that is provided for you.


For the Birthday Cake Block 
we will be using the 
2 1/4" and the 4" Trim-It Rulers
along with the marking rulers:)


I took a photo of my 
sewing area right before 
we starting filming:)


READY - SET - SEW!!




And just like that...
my Birthday Cake is made... 
and all ready for applique!!!!



Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 then trim it down to 14 1/2" square
so that it can be sewn into the quilt:) 



I hope that you enjoyed 
my video tutorial on block one and
 I especially hope that you will 
enjoy my teaching you a few
of my "SAMPLER SEWING METHODS"
as I explained in the video:)

Thanks so much for sewing with me today
 and for joining me here 
 for the first week of the... 



Mercantile Sampler Sew Along


I hope that you love 
sewing YOUR first sampler block...
and then turning it into a circle!

Sew Fun!

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next time for the 
Angel Star Block tutorial...
xx
Lori

P.S. Below are a few pics 
of my cutie patootie grandson Reid 
on filming day...
look at that curly hair!
He always wants to "get up" and see what's 
happening on top of my sewing table:) 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your tutorial! I want to make this quilt.

Wendy said...

Finally got all my pieces cut and ready to start sewing today!! Love, love, love the material!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails