Monday, May 27, 2024

How to Build a SCARECROW Sew Along - Week Two!!




"GLOVES and SUNFLOWER BLOCKS"


"SCARECROW WORD BLOCKS"


Let's make some more blocks!!



Welcome to week two of the 
"How to Build a Scarecrow"
Sew Along!

Are you ready to sew with me?

I hope that you will join me here 
each week when I will be 
doing tutorials every Monday!

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
How to Build a Scarecrow Quilt
74" x 86"





The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called AUTUMN:)

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"How to Build a Scarecrow
 Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.



I detail all of the supplies 
that you need to make the quilt in my
 Bee Prepared post right here on my blog.


I have already posted the
 post which not only details
 all of the supplies needed but
 explains how this sew along works.
I have also given the links there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.


As per usual for the first block in my 
new fabric collection Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Crow Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)


I already did the tutorial for 
these border blocks to get us started!
if you haven't watched it yet:)


 "MOON and STARS BLOCK"
for that tutorial



Remember that cutting each block is easy
because of the sew along guide
that is provided for you.


Each applique block is now 
detailed for you in the 
sew along guide for your convenience! 



 Gloves Block
 all cut and traced.
*Take note that you will need to 
trace one of the R-32 and 
one of the R-33 shapes in reverse:)



READY - SET - SEW!!



After sewing... trim the seam allowances.
 You will need to clip the 3 cleavage areas
 in each of the gloves before turning.



Turned - shaped and pressed...


Pinned and Sue Glued:)


After applique you will be
 trimming it to 10 1/2" wide 
so use your ruler that size 
when laying it out to make sure 
that your appliqués stay within the window 
of the ruler width wise because 
that's the size
 it will be when sewn into your quilt.

You will trim to 8 1/2" tall 
so you can use that Trim-It Ruler 
for laying out as well...


Or use a measuring tape to make sure
 that your appliqués stay 
within a 8" tall window.


My garden gloves are all ready for applique:)

Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 then trim it down to 
8 1/2" tall x 10 1/2" wide
so that it can be sewn into the quilt:) 


Now let's make the Sunflower Block.
Mine is cut and traced and ready to sew.




After sewing... trim the seam allowances. 
 You will need to clip the cleavage areas
 in each of the 2 flower 
petal shapes before turning.


Turned - shaped and pressed...


Pinned and Sue Glued:)




This block is easy to layout using the
 8 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.
Use it when laying out your block
to make sure everything is centered.



And just like that...
My Sunflower is ready to be appliquéd.


Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 then trim it down to 
8 1/2" tall x 8 1/2" wide
so that it can be sewn into the quilt:) 



I've cut and traced all 9 blocks
 for my Scarecrow Word.


Now for the sewing!


Afterwards... trim all seam allowances.


You will need to clip the inner curves
 in all of these letters...


 and clip the cleavage areas
 in each of these letters before turning.


Turned - shaped and pressed.
Because of the narrow shapes
 of most of these letters...


 I used my Seam Roller on a section
 at a time on the interfacing side 
and that really helped to
 get them shaped and ready to go!




I also took a pic of the back
 so that you could sew 
how I cut each shape before turning.
I hope this is helpful!


I pinned and Sue Glued each 
of my letter blocks in order.
These letters will all finish at 
4" wide x 7" tall...


And these two "r" letters will 
 finish at 
3" wide x 7" tall.


And finally these letters will 
 finish at 
4" wide x 7" tall with the exception of...


The "w" which will finish at 6" wide x 7" tall.
*Also take note when you are
 pinning and glueing your "w" 
that your background is taller than wider.


I glued mine with my block wider instead and then realized that after 
taking top down photos...
so I lifted it off and fixed it!!
 

After applique...press from the back 
and then you will be
 trimming your letter blocks to the 
sizes that I have given in the guide.
Just remember to trim each one 7 1/2" tall 
and then each one the width specified 
so they will fit when sewn into your quilt:)


I hope that you enjoyed week two and 
my blog tutorial for these blocks:)



Now we have 5 applique blocks completed
 (I'm counting scarecrow word 
as one for this pic) 
and all of the border blocks done!!



I'm sew very excited 
to make this quilt with you...
 thank you sew much for joining me
for week two of the... 



How to Build a Scarecrow
 Sew Along

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next Monday for the 
Tools, Bandana and
Gunny Sack Blocks...
xx
Lori







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails