Monday, October 5, 2026

Thanksgiving at Grandma's Sew Along - Checkered Tablecloth Blocks!!

     


Welcome Quilty friends!!
Are you ready to sew 
two more blocks for our quilt?



We are making the 
Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt 
which finishes at
 80" x 96"
It has a pieced flying geese border,
several machine pieced blocks 
and several applique blocks!
 

To make the appliqué blocks, 
 we will be using my 
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Thanksgiving at Grandma's!
 



The collection that we are using 
for the quilt is...
BAKED WITH LOVE!!

Baked With Love was designed by me... 
and produced and distributed 
to quilt shops everywhere 
by the amazing 

If you would like to know everything about
 Baked With Love
to view both storyboards...
to see all of the fabrics close up
 and to view the notions and ALL of 
the patterns that coordinate with it:)


So let's chat about the
Thanksgiving at Grandma's
 Quilt Fabric Kit.

Several shops are stocking the kit...
both brick and mortar shops
 as well as online quilt shops.
Just do a quick online search
"Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt Kit"
to find one.


The start date is October 12th 
for the applique block tutorials
but as I promised you in my 
I am beginning with
 the pieced block tutorials today:)


Last Monday I did the tutorial for the 
FALL FLOWER BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)


Last Wednesday I did the tutorial for the
 LOG CABIN BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)


Last Friday I did the tutorial for the
 BROKEN DISHES BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)



Next up are the 
Checkered Tablecloth Blocks.
Cutting is on page 44 of the guide.
I will continue sewing the pieced blocks
 in the order that they are in the 


My 2 Checkered Tablecloth Blocks 
are cut and ready to sew!


This is a super easy and fun block to make...



Let's start by making the 
9-patch for the center of the block.



Use the 3 1/2" Trim-It Ruler...


And press the seams open of course!!


Set it aside... 


And now let's make the 4-patch's
for the corners of the block.
Use the 2 1/2" Trim-It Ruler for these:)


Make four of these:)


Now let's sew these strips together
 for the sides and the top and the bottom.



I used both the 2 1/2" and the 3 1/2"
Trim-It Rulers to square these
up to measure 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".

I use two rulers when I don't have the
 exact same size of ruler 
for the finished segment...
However I will have a 
2 1/2" x 3 1/2" Trim-It Ruler coming soon!


Lay your block out on your 
Bee in my Bonnet Design Board
like this and sew it together
into three rows and then sew 
those three rows together:)


Easy Peasy!!


Use the
 7 1/2" Trim-It Ruler for this block:)


Sew Cute:)


And now we have two!


Have fun making your 
Checkered Tablecloth Blocks:)


I'll be back on Wednesday
to show you how I make Shoo-fly Blocks
a quick and easy way!
Until then...
have a Quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails