Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hawaiian Haystacks...

If you want a nice refreshing summer meal...this is it. Hawaiian Haystacks ... a favorite in our family.
It's kind of a build your own thing so everyone can add only what they like.
This meal also works out great for a large crowd.

You layer everything on top of fresh steamed rice and then pour the sauce over all...topping with chow mein noodles.
Here is how you make the sauce;

2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 (8 oz) pkg. chives and onion cream cheese
2 cups cooked chopped chicken (optional..my family likes it just as well without it)
Combine all ingredients and simmer for 8-10 minutes

Toppings;
grated cheese
diced tomatoes
chopped celery
chopped green pepper
slivered almonds
sliced green onions
pinapple tidbits
mandarin oranges
shredded coconut

And there you go girls...
Hawaiian Haystacks.
enjoy:)

post signature

16 comments:

Ruth said...

Looks yummy! I think I'll try it.

Deb said...

This recipe reminds me so much of a dish my mom used to make called Chop Stick Tuna. It was really good and your Haystacks look good too. I think I'll have to try it out.

•stephanie• said...

i'm intrigued with the addition of the flavored cream cheese to the sauce. and i've used all those toppings except mandarin oranges. i bet that's delicious. we'll be trying it for sure. thanks!

Kim Walus said...

Hawaiian Haystacks are one of Kenna's most favorite foods. Thanks for the sauce recipe. . . It's a new version I haven't seen before.

Sandra Henderson said...

Looks so cool and refreshing and light! what a wonderful summer meal that is easy to make! thank you! I love mixing chicken w/fruit. I have a chicken salad in the fridge now. I always grill extra chicken breasts when grilling(boneless,skinless) and then add mayo, grapes, apple, celery, pecans, any kind of yummy fresh crunchy fruit/veggie. Great to snack on...

Thimbleanna said...

Yum Yummy Lori! Thanks for the recipe -- I always forget what's in that sauce!

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm going to make this when we go to the ranch. For sure.

TheNormanFive said...

This sounds great.. I just wonder if my picky eaters will eat this... I plan on trying it.
thanks for the recipe
Erin

Ann and Billy said...

Looks interesting. Do you eat it hot or cold?

Rae Ann said...

Good gravy Mable... I am loving this recipe! I will be making this for Alex's party on Saturday. Thanks for sharing!

Micki said...

The recipe is wonderful!
Micki

Nedra said...

I haven't had these in years. I remember we used to have them all the time at ward and Relief Society parties. Thanks for the recipe.

Kim D. said...

Oh that looks so yummy.. I wish my hubby wasn't a vegetarian.

Sherry said...

Oh my! I'm so hungry after reading your last two posts, yummy for sure. Thanks for the recipes Lori. Have a great week-end!

busyascanbe said...

I hadn't made this in years and forgot all about this recipe. My family thanks you for the reminder...we had it for dinner the other night and they all remember it and we laughed and talked about other recipes I hadn't made in years...got go now and look some of them up again...

Barb said...

try it with a mild curry sauce...Golden Curry makes a good one..we like to pour this over ours. Yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails