Monday, February 8, 2021

Flea Market Flowers Sew Along - Week Three!!




Flea Market Flowers 
BLOCK "P"


Welcome to Week Three of the 



We are using my latest 
fabric collection called
Flea Market
It's designed by me ... 
and produced and distributed by the amazing 
Riley Blake Designs:)


We are making my quilt
FLEA MARKET FLOWERS
76" x 86"


We are using my 
PIE RULER
to make all of the flower petals...


This set of my 
CIRCLE RULERS
for all of the flower centers...


And we are also using my 
SEED RULERS
for all of the leaves in the quilt.


All of the other notions as well as fabric requirements are detailed within the 
Flea Market Flowers Sew Along Guide
for the free PDF Download

I also have a "Bee Prepared" blog post 
detailing everything that you will
 need to know about this sew along...
to go to that blog post 
if you have not read it 
or you need to be "refreshed"
 on any of the information!


As promised...
To kick off week one
 I did a video tutorial on my
 YouTube channel showing how to make 
Flea Market Flower 
BLOCK "M"

to go to that tutorial...
 so that you can make this cute flower!!


I also did a tutorial during 
week one right here
 on my blog for
Block "L"
to go to week one and this block tutorial:)


As part of week two 
I did the tutorial here for  
Block "O"
For that tutorial


BLOCK "I" 
is also in the week two tutorial:)


Today we are going to start of with 
BLOCK "P"

You will need to make three - 
6 1/2" Flea Market Flowers



To make Block "P" you will need:

6 - small leaves

3 - 2" circles

3 - 1/4" stems cut 6" long 
with one end pressed under

Background cut - 14" x 20"

You will need to cut 
two - 3" tall strips from EACH 
of the three prints for the 
6 1/2" flowers.
You will have leftover fabric
 from the second strips:)
Cut 16 petals from the 
3 prints to make 3 flowers.


Place your ruler like this
 when cutting the petals.
Remember to alternate 
the ruler each time you cut 
just like I showed you 
in the video from week one.



I sewed my circles and leaves...
and starting on the flower petals!



One down...
two more to go:)


I have all of the flowers sewn...



And I glue basted the centers on 
and took a few cute photos!


When pinning your flowers to the
 background and the design board...
keep in mind that you want each flower
 11" tall from top of flower points 
to the bottom of the stems.

You want all three flowers together
 to measure no wider than 17" across.


I placed a ruler across the edges
 of the top and bottom when 
I pinned to make sure that the bottom 
of stems lined up with the tips 
of the flowers straight across.


After pinning everything into place
 I glue basted and took the
 pins out when the glue was dry:)


This sweet Block "P" 
is all ready for applique!!

After you have appliquéd you will
 need to trim the block down to measure 
12 1/2" x 18 1/2" 
It will finish at 
12" x 18" when sewn into the quilt.


Okay...that is the first tutorial
 for this week...
now let's move onto the next one:)


Flea Market Flower
BLOCK "I"

Has one 7 1/2" Flower:)


For Block "I" you will also need:

4 - small leaves

4 - large leaves

1 - 4" circle

1 - 1/4" stem cut 18" long 
with one end pressed under

Background cut - 12" x 26" 


You will need to cut 16 petals from your 
3" strip x WOF 
to make one 7 1/2" flower.

Place the ruler like this 
and alternate each time you cut.


*While we are working with this fabric
 I wanted to let you know....


There is a typo in the sew along guide 
that has been fixed of course 
but I assume that you have already 
copied yours off and so 
I'm showing it to you now.

FYI *The typo has nothing to do with
 this block but it has to do with
 the flower size for block "K" 
that we will be doing next week.

It should say 7 1/2" Flower 
instead of 9 1/2"
The 7 1/2" flower for Block "I" 
which is the one that we are 
doing right now is correct:)
So to recap...
Block "K" is a 7 1/2" flower 
NOT a 9 1/2" flower


Okay...
now let's get back to 
growing this tall flower!!


I've sewn all of the leaves 
and the circle for the center:)
I just need to 
turn...shape and press them!


I'm sewing another flower petal chain:)


And just like that...
a flower seed has been planted!!

Time to get everything 
onto the design board:)


First I pressed my background fabric
in half to mark the center:)
The height of your flower 
should measure 23" tall
 from top to bottom.


My large leaves measure 9" wide.


I pinned and glued and let it dry...


And now it's ready for applique!!

After applique 
BLOCK "I" should be trimmed down to
 10 1/2" x 24 1/2" 
and it will finish at 10" x 24" 
when it's sewn into your quilt.


Thanks so much for joining me
 for week three 
and I'll be right back here
 next week 
to plant two more
 Flea Market Flowers!
xx
Lori








1 comment:

Flutterbye said...

I've never done applique before but this looks like fun , and so pretty!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails