Monday, September 19, 2022

Prairie Meadow Sew Along - Block Four!!



"BLOCK FOUR"
Welcome to week four of the 
"PRAIRIE MEADOW"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Prairie Meadow Quilt
68" x 85"




The quilt is made with my newest fabric
 collection called Prairie...

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Prairie Meadow Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.




We are also using the
Prairie Meadow
Sew Simple Shapes

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


It's important to watch my 
Week One/Block One video tutorial
 because everything I show you in 
block one pertains to all 
the rest of the blocks.
Things such as tips on sewing...
 shaping and turning all of your
 appliqués as well as the entire 
process of laying out the block.
I also explain about sewing 
the scrappy background.

If you have not watched it please 

to read my blog tutorial for
BLOCK TWO

to read my tutorial for
BLOCK THREE
 

As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for your
  Block Four 
 all cut and ready to go!



Here is my Block Four Kit
 Everything is all cut...
all traced and ready:)
You can also sew above the squares
 and rectangles that
 I used for the background.

Here is a list of the
  Prairie Meadow 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for  
 Block Four:
4 - N-10
4 - N-12
4 - N-27
8 - N-31
8 - N-45
1 - N-49
4 - N-55
4 - N-58

You will need to cut
4 - 2 1/2" long
and 
4 - 3 1/2" long
of prepared 1/4" straight 
bias strips for the stems 

 


Here are all of my Block Four shapes
 sewn...trimmed and clipped.

Before turning...
you will need to clip the cleavage
 of the stars and the 
inner curves in the flowers:)
 


All turned...shaped and pressed...
I just need to cut my stems:)


I pre-glued the circles onto the flowers
and onto the stars as well. 
I glued the four leaf shapes around 
the outside of the center circle 
 before laying them out
 onto the background for pinning.




You know the drill by now!
 I pinned this circle first in the 
center onto the background.

I pinned it down but made sure not to 
glue the outer edges down yet because 
I wanted to be able to 
tuck all 8 stems underneath first.


Next I did the stems for the star flowers.
Remember to use your sewn seams from 
the background to line these up!

The stems measure 2" long from the
  center circle to the 
bottom cleavage of the star.
The tips of stars is 1 1/2"
from the edge of the background.
I placed the leaves on each side at the
 bottom of the stem 1/4" away 
from the bottom star points.



I measured 3 1/2" diagonally from
the 
corners
 of 
the background
 and 
placed 
to the inner curve of the flower.
The stems measure 2 3/4" long
 from the center circle to the
 bottom inner curve of the flower.

I placed the tall leaves at the
 bottom of each side of the stem 
and centered them between the 
flowers and star leaves.

Then I glued everything!!


I love the tall leaves with the flowers
and the shorter leaves with the stars:)


This is really a fun block to make!



YaY!!
That is my BLOCK FOUR tutorial:) 


 BLOCK FOUR 
all ready for applique:)

Afterwards I will 
press from the back and then 
I will use my 
16 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
to trim down the block.


And now we have four
Prairie Meadow Blocks completed...
and I'm kind of in love!!



Thanks for joining me
on this Prairie journey 
once again this week for the 
Prairie Meadow Sew Along

I'll meet you right back here
next week for the 
Block Five tutorial...
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

4 comments:

Carla said...

Love the fabric and the blocks are really pretty. I keep saying one day I'll do a sew along. One day. LOL
Sew instead I'll live through your eyes and talent.

Anonymous said...

Lori sew along scare really fun. I seem to do them but behind ..lol Enjoying every minute.

Debi Sherman said...

Lori i have done a few of your quilts but behind, way behind you. LOL
So far I am keeping up with you:) Thank you for amazing instructions and awesome products. My mom, who has dementia, sits with me in my sewing room and we binge watch you and FQS. The positive and creative atmosphere is the best environment for us. We love you!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the sew along. Preparing the blocks but unsure how I want to sew them down. Thank you for such beautiful fabric and great instructions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails