Saturday, March 5, 2016

New Tutorial - Quilty Zip Bag - Easiest Zipper Ever!


Hello cute people!
It's the first Saturday night 
of the month and
at our house that means that 
my family room is
 filled with guys watching the fights:)

So as promised a few weeks back... 
I finally have time to post 
the tutorial on my new
 Quilty Zip Bag 
8" x 10"


During my Farm Girl Fridays Sew Along 
I did a tutorial on these 
using my Modern Minis fabric.
I've had so much fun with them and I have loved seeing all of yours!

I promised that I would
 design another during my 
using my Calico Days fabric and also
 the same Easy Peasy Zipper installation...
And so here it is!


I used my 
A-5  -  A-9  -  A-7 
to make this fun appliqué flower.

I cut my background fabric 5" x 7"

I used my favorite method just like I've shown in week one of the sew along.
to see that video tutorial.


After I finished my appliqué 
I made a 9 patch block using
 9 - 2 1/2" Calico Days squares:)

I grabbed a 14" zipper from my stash
 and chose 2 fabrics for the
 binding and the outer lining.


I always cut my background a little larger when I appliqué and then I trim it down.


I trimmed it to 4 1/2" wide and 6 1/2" tall...
and then sewed it to the 9 patch.
Unit should measure 
6 1/2" x 10 1/2" at this point.
Knowing this measurement will give you the freedom to create whatever design you want for the front...
as long as it measures the same:)


I cut a piece of yellow fabric
 11" wide and 7 1/2" tall.
This is for the inner lining that will go behind the flower/9 patch section of the bag.


I cut 2- 11" squares from the yellow inner lining and the blue outer lining.
With right sides together I sewed a 
1/4"seam along the top of these two sections.
I pressed my seams open.


Then I cut 2 pieces of thin batting
 the same size as the lining.
7 1/2" x 11" 
and 
11" square.


I sandwiched the batting in-between the
 top and bottom pieces right down
 the center of the top seams like this...


Then folded them over and 
pinned for quilting.
I didn't quilt the large piece 
(inner and outer lining)
I just did a little easy quilting 
on the flower and patchwork section.
I highly recommend using a
 walking foot for that 
and for the remaining steps.



After quilting I topstitched the top 
folded edges of each piece
 on one side of the zipper...
in the center of the zipper.

There will be a few inches 
of the zipper hanging over each edge.

I also sewed around all of the 
edges of both fabric pieces 
just to keep them lined up.


Next...I trimmed everything up on the lining sides and bottom edge...and also the patchwork front bottom edge.
I then folded it so that both of those bottom edges were even like this. 
I also opened the zipper a few inches into the center because I'm going to trim of the ends and I don't want to cut off the zipper pull!


When you have the bottom corners
 and edges lined up...
Pin into place 
so it stays nice and flat...


And cut off the zipper ends...
then zig-zag all the way
 around the edges including the top...
to prepare for the binding.


I cut 3 - 2 1/2" x 21" from a fat quarter 
and joined them together for the binding.


I bound it the same way that
 I bind all of my quilts and pillows.
I did a detailed tutorial on my method several years ago.
if you want to see it.


I cut some of my baby chick selvedge
 from my Calico Days
 blue cherries print 
to use for the zipper pull.


The machine part of the binding
 is complete...
now for the whip stitching
 on the back:)


I threaded the selvedge through the zipper pull 
and sewed across it to keep it from coming out.


Look how cute the yellow daisy print is for the lining...ready to be filled with all kinds of cute quilty supplies!


I love how my Quilty Zip Bag turned out.
I also love appliqué and patchwork together
 and I'm sure I'll be making many more of these bags.

You could make the front section 
all appliqué or all squares...
sew many possibilities!

I'd LOVE to see yours:)
Use the hashtag
#QuiltyZipBag

I'll be back on Monday
 for BLOOM Block 8:)
xx
Lori





23 comments:

dream quilt create said...

What an adorable little bag! Thanks so much for the tutorial :)

Unknown said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing :-)

Turid said...

Thanks for sharing this cute tutorial. I'll try one next week.

Quilter Roz said...

Ooooo! Can't wait ti give this a whirl! Thank you!

Jan N said...

You sure keep me in stitches! So cute, thanks for all you do!

allthingzsewn said...

Such a sweet bag, I see Christmas presents for the guild girls. Thank you for the tutorial. When I get a few of these done I'll post and link back to you for the tutorial. Let me know if there is a problem with this please.
Have great Sunday.

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh - this is so cute! Love this bag! You are a master at putting scrappy quilts and other projects together to look special. Thank you for this tutorial, Lori!

Unknown said...

Love it.... thank you for sharing....

Kathy said...

I see a birthday present for one of my quilting friends. Thank you.

Tine said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing the tutorial :-)

Unknown said...

Such a cute bag...I think it will be the best bag to keep all my Sew Simple Shapes in.

gibbygoo56 said...

CUTE! I love it!

Lady Jane said...

saved to my favs. I love this little bags. Thanks for the great tute... Hugs, lJ

Heidi aus Wien said...

Thank you very much for this idea and for the tutorial !!! I love it !
Greetings from Vienna , Heidi

Kay said...

Thank you for a great tutorial. x

Margot said...

Because you do work so beautiful!!!
Cute! I love it!
Thank you

Janet said...

You're so creative! If I had just a thimble full of your talent, I'd be a happy camper!! Just wondering if you ever sleep since you're creating fun, useful, and delightful projects all the time.

Susan said...

definitely adding this to my TO DO list!

Craftylagare said...

This is FABulous! I am going to start one next week, thank you so much for sharing.

Ande said...

This is so adorable!! will be making some of these :) Thx for sharing!

Nanna Ray said...

Thanks for sharing another great tutorial Lori. This will make a lovely little gift for stitching friends at Christmas. Great little item for using up some of those scraps we all seem to have if made as a strippy front piece.

Dee said...

I thought I would try my hand with the applique before I attempt the quilt so this is a perfect trial piece and I see I need more practice on the little ovals. I had fun making it too. Thanks for the design!

Kathie said...

Can't wait to try it. I've made many cute bags and this one looks really simple. Wish I had time to make some before Christmas...

Related Posts with Thumbnails