Sunday, July 9, 2017

Schoolhouse Block Tutorial!!

Hello cute people!
It's time for another episode of 
"Tutorials by Miss Bee"



I've just been waiting
 for the release 
of my new book...
so that I could hit
 the "publish" button on 
this tutorial to celebrate.

I'm so excited to announce 
that my book will be 
hot off the press this week!



For both of these blocks...
I have used my new 
Bee Basics
Bee Backgrounds and 
Bee Backings and Borders 
Fabric.

In the book I have my
 typical 6" as well as 12" 
 instructions for
 each and every block.

There is no exception 
for my Schoolhouse Block...
the same golden rule applies:)



I'll show you how to 
make the 12" block
 and of course...
the instructions 
are the same for the 6".



First up...lets start by
 cutting for the windows
 on the 12" block.

This fabric is in my 
Bee Backgrounds Collection
 and it works 
really well to fussy cut!




Cut the square out 
on the dotted lines:)



Windows:
For 12" -  H - Cut 2 - 2" x 3"
For 6" - H - Cut 2 - 1 1/4" x 1 3/4"


Grass:
For 12" - I - Cut 2 - 1" x 4 1/2"
For 6" - I - Cut 2 - 3/4" x 2 1/2"



Steps:
For 12" - J - Cut 1 - 1" x 3 1/2"
K -M Cut 1 - 1" x 4 1/2"

For 6" - J - Cut 1 - 3/4" x 2"
K - Cut 1 - 3/4" x 2 1/2"



Door:
For 12" -  L - Cut 1 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
For 6" - L - Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"



School Bell:
For 12" - M - Cut 1 - 1 1/2" square
For 6" - M - Cut 1 - 1" square



Around the Door:
For 12" - N - Cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares
0 - Cut 2 - 1" x 4 1/2"
P - Cut 1 - 1" x 3 1/2"

For 6" - N - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" squares
O - Cut 2 - 3/4" x 2 1/2"
P - Cut 1 - 3/4" x 2"



Roof:
For 12" - Q - Cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares
 R - Cut 2 - 3" x 6 1/2"

For 6" - Q - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" squares 
R - Cut 2 - 1 3/4" x 3 1/2"



Schoolhouse:
For 12" - S - Cut 3 - 1" x 2 1/2"
T - Cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 3"
U - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 4"
V - Cut 2 - 2" x 4"

For 6" - S - Cut 3 - 3/4" x 1 1/2"
T - Cut 4 - 1" x 1 3/4"
U - Cut 2 - 1" x 2 1/4"
V - Cut 2 - 1 1/4" x 2 1/4"



Background:
For 12" - A - Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"
B - Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 5"
C - Cut 2 - 3" squares
D - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 5 1/2"
E - Cut 1 - 1" x 2 1/2"
F - Cut 2 - 1" x 1 1/2"
G - Cut 2 - 1" squares

For 6" - A - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
B - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 2 3/4"
C - Cut 2 - 1 3/4" squares
D - Cut 2 - 1" x 3"
E - Cut 1 - 3/4" x 1 1/2"
F - Cut 2 - 3/4" x 1"
G - Cut 2 - 3/4" squares



Yay! 
You are all cut out:) 

Lay all the pieces out
 on your design board like this 
and we will start piecing 
from the top down.

All of the following 
step by step photos 
are very self explanatory ...
especially if you have
 made my blocks before!

So just look at the pictures
 and do what I do!





















































And there you go!
12" Schoolhouse Block
YaY!!
(it should measure 
12 1/2" square at this point)


It fits right in with 
the other 
"Picture Blocks" 
in the book:)


My bell turned out 
a little wonky...
but I love it!
I fussy cut the bell fabric 
so that the star 
would be in the center:)


There are cute little baby chicks
 all over the door...
maybe they were brought
 for show and tell...lol!


Did you pre-order your copy? 
Don't miss the bus!!
We will be having a 
 Spelling Bee Sew Along
 starting later in the year.
YaY!
You can bet I've 
got a lot of surprises planned:)


And for all of my 
die hard 6" block makers...
a little brown schoolhouse!


YaY!!!


I super love the 6" blocks...
yes...they are fussy
 but oh so cute!


I hope you enjoyed this episode
 and thanks for tuning in:)

Next week's episode is 
"Mama's Flower Garden"

See you then!
xx
Lori




18 comments:

2Bis2DO said...

This is so adorable! I can't wait to get started!

Susie H said...

Love the blocks! Thank you!

Little Quiltsong said...

So, so happy your book is coming out this week!!! I just can't get over the cuteness of all of your blocks - and now a schoolhouse!! Love it! Thank you for all of the super fun and excitement!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I am a school teacher, so I am thrilled to make this one as part of a door banner for my classroom!

krislovesfabric said...

Looking forward to getting your new book in my hands!!

Daktam said...

It is fabulous! Im so excited for this book :) great Job Lori <3 I can see my next few months will be very buzzy :)

Penny said...

I will make a pillow with this block for sure. I'm a retired school teacher. ☺ Can't wait for the book to come.

lovetostitch said...

Is this school house in the book too? I'm dying of cuteness overload!!! I want fabric too, and can't decide how much to get - my pocketbook & hubster are screaming and I singing lalallalalalalala!!

gibbygoo56 said...

Another adorable block. You are amazingly talented Lori Holt. I love it!

Susann said...

I think your school house is so fun!!! Darling fabrics too. Can't wait to get some and the book also. I am excited to make the block.

Granny's Button Box said...

Thanks Lori, it's fab. You are soooo clever. Sharon x

sewsusiesew said...


What a fun block!!!1 Can't wait to get the fabric and make this cute block. Love it!!!!!!

Unknown said...

As always you've done it again girl! As a farm girl living in the middle of our newly planted cotton fields, maybe you could come up with a block for the cotton farmers...cotton stalks perhaps?!?? And if not...I still love all your designs! Now if I would get my pre-order spelling Bee book!! Lol

Shelley Needham said...

So cute! Love this block, it's perfect for teacher's gifts--pillows, wall quilts surrounded by kids handprints, potholders or mug rugs, so many possibilities!

Unknown said...

I love you colors and design, I'm new to quilting so I'm looking forward to this new journey.

Crystla

KarenInRaleigh said...

One of the quilt shops I frequent here in Raleigh (Bernina world of sewing) has a beautiful full size farm girl quilt on their wall. After seeing it, I bought your book, which I just got yesterday. I look forward to making many of the blocks including this one after I finish the bar exam in two weeks. What fabric do you recommend? I was going to go with bee basics.

Edie said...

Lori, these are absolutely adorable. My book is in the post office here and I hope it arrives in my mailbox this afternoon. Can't wait to get started!

Hey Jude said...

Absolutely love these blocks!
Mix n match, Yeah!

Related Posts with Thumbnails