Monday, July 10, 2023

Bee Vintage Sew Along - Week One - Vintage Strawberry!!




"VINTAGE STRAWBERRY BLOCK"



Welcome to week one of the 
"BEE VINTAGE"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing 3 tutorials
 on three blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each 
Monday - Wednesday - Friday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.



We are making the 
Bee Vintage Sampler Quilt
71" x 84"
 
I've been getting ready for
when it was time to begin...
and now that time is here
and I'm going to have sew
much fun making this quilt with you!!




The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Bee Vintage...
and a few other prints from my basics collections as well!

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Bee Vintage Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.



We are also using the
Bee Vintage
Sew Simple Shapes

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.


*A note about fabric prep before cutting:
Of course this is all personal preference
 but I often get asked the same 
two questions
 so I thought I would answer them
 here again for you.
1. Do you pre-wash your fabrics?
Answer - No...I don't.
I used to years ago 
(I have been sewing for a long time lol)
but these days we have such 
good quality fabrics available to us 
that I don't find it necessary
 to pre-wash and I've never had any
 problems by not doing so.
2. How do you starch your fabric?
Answer - I lightly starch my fabrics
before I cut them for 
piecing or for applique.
I use Mary Ellens Best Press
and mix it with a little water in my 
spray bottle and spray my fabric 
right before I iron it flat to cut it. 


So in other words all of my starching
 takes place during my ironing process
 right before cutting.
And yes...
I always use vintage irons.
If you would like to know why and
 how I find them and use them...
to watch my YouTube Video
where I tell you all about it!


As per usual for the first block in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Vintage Strawberry Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Vintage Strawberry Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)



Here is a list of the
  Bee Vintage 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
1 - P-2
1 - P-11
1 - P-14
1 - P-32
1 - P-64


I took a top shot photo of my 
sewing table right before 
we starting filming:)


Sew sweet!


My Vintage Strawberry
 is now all ready for applique
and the extra one that I made 
during filming will more than likely 
become a pillow!


I know I talked all about this 
Vintage Strawberry Quilt
in my video but I wanted to remind you
that you can download a printable image
 of this quilt to help you 
with your fabric placement.
to download and/or you can also just
view it as you are sewing and
 simply enlarge the photo on your screen
 as large as you need it 
to make sure of each print!


Thanks so much for sewing with me today
 and for joining me 
 for the very first week of the 
Bee Vintage Sew Along
 
Congratulations on 
making your first block:)
YaY!

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next time for the 
Vintage Apple Block tutorial...
xx
Lori

4 comments:

Bibliofil said...

You make it seem so easy! The strawberry went well, the other pieces not so much. I definitely need to practice more!! I love the look of my strawberry, so not giving up. Thank you for the really good tutorial!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much!!! I’m so glad I found this! Thank you for sharing your talent with us! And….being an awesome teacher! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Thank you from Tennessee, excited for the next block

Anonymous said...

Never thought I would appliqué but love your method. My strawberry looks great. So excited to work on this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails