Monday, February 5, 2024

Mercantile Sampler Sew Along - Week Two - Maple Leaf Block!!




"MAPLE LEAF BLOCK"


Welcome to week two of the 
"MERCANTILE SAMPLER"
Sew Along!

Are you ready to sew with me?

I hope that you will join me here each week 
when I will be doing two tutorials
 weekly...every Monday and Friday.



We are making the 
Mercantile Sampler Quilt
88" x 88"






The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Mercantile:)




We are piecing all 25 blocks 
and then turning them into a 
12" circle to applique onto a
 4-Patch Block background!

I detail all of the supplies 
that you need to make the quilt in my
 Bee Prepared post right here on my blog.


I have already posted the
 post which not only details
 all of the supplies needed but
 explains how this sew along works.
I have also given the links there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guides

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.
to download the sampler block
 sew along guide.


As per usual for the first block in my 
new fabric collection Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Birthday Cake Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)


On Friday we made the 
ANGEL STAR BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post


Today we are making the 
MAPLE LEAF BLOCK



Here's mine all cut and ready to sew!



Cutting each block should be 
easy peasy because of the sew along guide
that is provided for you.


Let's start by making these four
 half square triangles first.


Draw a single line on 4 of the "A" squares.

*Take Note*
I normally don't take the time to 
draw lines on my squares
 when sewing from corner to corner 
especially when they are small enough 
to just use the lines on my 
 Seams Sew Easy Guide
but for clarification purposes
 in these tutorials I am drawing them:)

Match them up with the 
four prints and sew on your marked line.


Trim off the excess using
 an approximate 1/4" seam allowance...


And press the seams open.
Each of your half square triangles
 should measure 3 3/4" square at this point.


Now let's make the stem:)


Mark  a stitching line 
on the back of the "B" squares...


And sew on your line after placing 
the smaller square onto one side
 of the larger square like this.


Trim off excess and press open...


Now you can add the other smaller
 square on the other side like this.


Trim off excess and press open.
Now we can add the "C"
 easy corner triangle square 
across the bottom.


Trim off excess...


And press open:)
The stem segment should 
also measure 3 3/4" square.


Now all of are segments are completed
 and we can lay our block out 
on the design board for sewing!

Simply sew the block into
 3 rows like this and then 
sew the 3 rows together.



Press all seams open:)


Add the borders and press towards them
 so that we can turn our 
Maple Leaf into a circle...


Like this!!




Wasn't that fun?

I don't think I'll get tired of
 turning these blocks into circles.

I think it's so easy and they look so cute
 and I love that we can turn some 
of the blocks that are traditionally
 on their side right side up!


Sew your 4 - Patch block 
for the background of the circle:)
Seams are open of course!
Now let's go to the work table.


Line the 4 - patch seams up with 
the center of the maple leaf both ways...


And pin.
  Sue Glue your cute circle into place:)



My Maple Leaf Block is ready for applique!


Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 then trim it down to 14 1/2" square
so that it can be sewn into the quilt:) 











And then there were three!!




I hope that you love 
sewing YOUR third sampler block
for our sampler quilt...
and then turning it into a circle!

Sew Much Fun!




I'll meet you right back here
on my blog this Friday for the 
Grandma's Quilt Block tutorial...
xx
Lori



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails