Monday, June 10, 2024

How to Build a SCARECROW Sew Along - Week Four!!


"CORN, LEAVES and FACE BLOCKS"


Let's make some more blocks!!


Welcome to week four of the 
"How to Build a Scarecrow"
Sew Along!

Are you ready to sew with me?

I hope that you will join me here 
each week when I will be 
doing tutorials every Monday!

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
How to Build a Scarecrow Quilt
74" x 86"





The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called AUTUMN:)

I hope that you all have all 
received your 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need one ...
just do a quick google search for 
"How to Build a Scarecrow
 Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.



I detail all of the supplies 
that you need to make the quilt in my
 Bee Prepared post right here on my blog.


I have already posted the
 post which not only details
 all of the supplies needed but
 explains how this sew along works.
I have also given the links there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.


As per usual for the first block in my 
new fabric collection Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Crow Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)


I already did the tutorial for 
these border blocks to get us started!
if you haven't watched it yet:)


 "MOON and STARS BLOCK"
for that tutorial



"GLOVES - SUNFLOWER and
SCARECROW WORD BLOCKS"
for the tutorial


"TOOLS- BANDANA and 
GUNNY SACK BLOCKS"
for that tutorial



Remember that cutting each block is easy
because of the sew along guide
that is provided for you.


Each applique block is now 
detailed for you in the 
sew along guide for your convenience! 


 CORN Block
 all cut and traced:)

There are two different shapes
 for the corn husks...
and some are traced in reverse.
I took a close up photo of each shape
 on my design boards as I 
laid them out individually...






READY - SET - SEW!!


After sewing... trim the seam allowances.
 You will need to clip cleavage areas
  and inner curves in all  of the 
corn husk shapes before turning.


Turned - shaped and pressed:)


Whoops! 
I found these two hiding under a clapper 
lol 



Pinned and Sue Glued:)
 I used several design boards for this one!





Because you will be
 trimming it to 9 1/2" wide... 
 use your 9 1/2" Trim-It Ruler  
when laying it out to make sure 
that your appliqués stay within the 
window of the ruler width wise.
If you leave at least an inch 
of background at the top of the 
highest ear of corn you will
be good to go when it comes to trimming
your block height after applique.




My tall corn is all ready for applique:)

Afterwards I'll press from the back and
 then trim it down to 
32 1/2" tall x 9 1/2" wide
so that it can be sewn into the quilt:) 


Now let's make the Leaves Block.
Mine is cut and traced and ready to sew.



I prepped my 1/4" stems the same way
 that I prepped the 1/4" x's 
in the gunny sack last week.
Each stem measures 1 3/4" long
 AFTER pressing each end under:)


Let's sew them!


After sewing...
 trim the seam allowances.
 

 You will need to clip the inner curves 
in each leaf before turning.


Turned - shaped and pressed...



Pinned and Sue Glued:)
These little blocks are easy 
to layout using the
 3 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.
Use it when laying out each leaf like this.


My fall leaves are ready to be appliquéd.

Afterwards I'll press each one
 of them from the back and
 then trim them down to 
3 1/2" square using the ruler
so that they can be sewn together
and then into the quilt:) 



Next up...
I'm ready to do my Scarecrow Face Block.

I went ahead and used my 
Easy Trace Lightbox 
and the pattern in the guide
to trace the embroidery lines 
for the mouth and the button
 placement for the eyes.



My nose and cheeks are 
sewn-trimmed-turned and pressed!!


My buttons are sewn on and 
my appliqués are Sue Glued:)


Now to stitch his mouth!


When laying out my block
I used the 9 1/2" Trim-It for width
and the 4 1/2" for the height.


Hello cute face!
After I applique your cheeks and nose
I'll trim you down to 4 1/2" x 9 1/2"
and sew you into my quilt:) 


I hope that you enjoyed week four and 
my tutorial for these blocks:)


Now we have 11 applique blocks completed
and all of the border blocks done!!
Only 20 of the border blocks are shown 
here on my design wall because
I'm running out of room:) 




All of these blocks are looking
 sew happy together on my design wall!





I'm loving every minute of sewing
 this quilt with you...


 thank you sew much for joining me
for week four of the... 



How to Build a Scarecrow
 Sew Along

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next Monday for the 
Overalls and
Boots Blocks...
xx
Lori


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails