Monday, September 23, 2024

Let's Make a SNOWMAN Sew Along - Week Five!!

 



Snowflakes - Cardinal 
 and Skates Blocks



Welcome Quilty Friends!!

Today is Week Five for the 

LET'S MAKE A SNOWMAN
 SEW ALONG


We are making the 
LET'S MAKE A SNOWMAN Quilt 
which finishes at
 75" x 87"
It consists of 22 pieced quilt blocks
for the border which surrounds
the applique blocks in the center
of the quilt.
(There are a few other blocks
 that are also pieced)



To make the applique blocks
 we are using my 
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Let's Make A Snowman!
 


The collection that we are using 
for the quilt is...
HOME TOWN HOLIDAY!!

Home Town Holiday was designed by me... 
and produced and distributed 
to quilt shops everywhere 
by the amazing 

If you would like to know everything about
 HOME TOWN HOLIDAY 
to view the entire storyboard...
to see all of the fabrics close up
 and to view the notions and ALL of 
the patterns that coordinate with it:)


 I did a video tutorial
 on my YouTube channel for week one:)
I showed you how to make the hat
and one of the letters and 
gave you tips along the way.
I also chatted about stitching the 
appliqués by machine or hand 
and about quilting over the 
Sew Simple Shapes.
to watch the video and please 
leave me a comment and a like!
and then
to read my week one blog tutorial as well.



for the above week two block tutorial


During Week Three we did 
all of the above blocks.
for the tutorials


for all of the 
tutorials for week four:)


Grab your fabric and the sew along guide
 for cutting and let's get started
 on this weeks tutorials!

I took photos of all three blocks
 cut and ready to go according to the
 sew along guide instructions:)


Snowflakes Block


Skates Block 



Cardinal Block
***TAKE NOTE***

 Trace a line for the beak 
from the Sew Simple Shape 
onto the interfacing to
help when sewing the shape.



Ready to sew all of the shapes!


First sew the strip for the beak to the left side of the red cardinal fabric.


Press the seam open:)


Now you can sew the cardinal and the 
beak will be sewn at the same time:)


After sewing and trimming
 you will need to clip all of the 
cleavage areas in the 
snowflakes and the star...
and clip the inner curves in
 the skates and the cardinal.


Turned and shaped!


Backside of my snowflakes.
I just took my time and turned 
and pressed one section at a time.


And same with the star!


Ready to go to the worktable
 for pinning and Sue Glueing:)


Let's begin with the snowflakes.


They are no fuss to layout.
Simply center each one onto a
 background square  then pin and glue.


After applique press from the back 
and trim down to 3 1/2" square.


Now for the ice skates:)


Here are several photos with 
measurements to help you out...
About 6" tall


And almost 8 1/2" wide...


The ice skate blades are 6" long...


And each skate is about 4 3/4" tall 
from the bottom of the blade 
to the top of the skate.


After applique press 
from the back and trim down to
 7 1/2" x 9 1/2"


That just leaves the cardinal block!
Again...I have measurements for you.


Approximately 6 1/2" wide...


And 4" tall.


After applique trim down to 
5 1/2" x 9 1/2"


I embroidered a backstitch
 for the star string and 
did a French knot for the eye.


We have completed this weeks blocks 
and it's time to add them to the other
blocks that we have made so far:)







Now I have even more snowman parts!


Remember that I did a tutorial 
on how to make my Snow Star Blocks
 so if you haven't watched it yet...


Thank you once again 
for sewing with me today!


I'll meet you right back here next Monday
for the tutorial on making the
Tree, Birdhouse and 
the Snow Shovel Blocks.

Sew with you soon!
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails