Monday, September 2, 2024

Let's Make a SNOWMAN Sew Along - Week Two!!

 



Mugs - Bucket 
 and Heart Blocks



Welcome Quilty Friends!!

Today is Week Two for the 

LET'S MAKE A SNOWMAN
 SEW ALONG


We are making the 
LET'S MAKE A SNOWMAN Quilt 
which finishes at
 75" x 87"
It consists of 22 pieced quilt blocks
for the border which surrounds
the applique blocks in the center
of the quilt.
(There are a few other blocks
 that are also pieced)



To make the applique blocks
 we are using my 
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Let's Make A Snowman!
 


The collection that we are using 
for the quilt is...
HOME TOWN HOLIDAY!!

Home Town Holiday was designed by me... 
and produced and distributed 
to quilt shops everywhere 
by the amazing 

If you would like to know everything about
 HOME TOWN HOLIDAY 
to view the entire storyboard...
to see all of the fabrics close up
 and to view the notions and ALL of 
the patterns that coordinate with it:)

As per usual I did a video tutorial
 on my YouTube channel for week one:)
I showed you how to make the hat
and one of the letters and 
gave you tips along the way.
I also chatted about stitching the 
appliqués by machine or hand 
and about quilting over the 
Sew Simple Shapes.
to watch the video and please 
leave me a comment and a like!
and then
to read my week one blog tutorial as well.


Now for the week two blocks!
Of course all of the cutting is 
in the guide and also because 
all of the shapes 
are sewn the same way
 I don't need to detail each block
 but I would like to talk about
a few measurements that may help you
on some of the blocks when laying out
and then show you the rulers that I 
use for squaring each one 
up after applique.
I took a lot of pics to show you each step
along the way so let's get started!

First I took photos of each of the blocks
 all cut and ready to go:)

Heart Block


Mug Blocks

Bucket Block

My strips for the bias tape makers 
to use in the Bucket Block:)
***NOTE***
If you are new to my sew alongs
and have not watched me run 
the strips thru the makers...
to watch my week one 
Scarecrow tutorial on how I do that:)

***Take Note that I cut a
 12" square of fabric for the
 bucket handle because that will have to
 be on the bias because it's very curvy.

Also take note that I'm using the
 1/4" bias tape maker for this 
instead of the 3/4" as I had planned...
and I'll talk about that in a bit.
First let's do the red one!





This one is for the top of the
 bucket handle and should 
measure 1 3/4" wide
AFTER 
the two ends are pressed under.


I glued my ends down and now 
it's all ready for lay out
 when the bucket shapes are sewn.


This one is for the top of the bucket...

And should measure 6" AFTER 
the ends are pressed under.

I didn't glue these ends down because
 I'll tuck them under the sides 
of the bucket when I glue baste.


This is the largest stripe in the bucket and should measure 6 1/2" wide.
Do not press the ends under...


And do the same for the smallest stripe.


Now measure up 1 1/2" from the bottom 
of the bucket fabric and 
glue the smallest strip.
Now measure 1/4" up from that
 and glue the largest.


Now when you lay your traced interfacing for the bucket shape
the stripes will be 
sewn in at the same time!!
Easy peasy:)


Okay now for the handle.
I originally wanted to make this wider 
but because it was so curvy 
it was a little difficult to
 make it lie flat so I went down
 to a 1/4" instead.


I cut my strip 5/8" wide from
 corner to corner of my square....


I'll use the 1/4" bias tape maker and the 
2 large rectangles that are left
 can be used for the other things needed 
in that print for the quilt.
That's how you cut fabric strips
on the bias when you
need them to be curvy:)


As I'm running it through the maker 
I do it the same way with the exception
 of pressing it into a curve 
instead of straight...


This will make it sew much easier 
when laying out that curved handle 
for the bucket block.


Okay now the bucket block is all prepped!


I sewed the shapes for 
all three blocks at the same time:)



After sewing...
these two shapes are the only ones 
that have cleavage and need clipping.
There are no inner curves this week:)


All trimmed and clipped and ready for...


Turning - shaping and pressing:)
Now it's time to glue baste all of the blocks
and prepare them for applique:)


Let's start with the heart.

After applique you will trim the 
HEART Block to 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"
and I do that by using BOTH
of those sizes of Trim-It Rulers.


So sweet!



Next I did each of the mug blocks.
I started by first glueing the two
 ovals together for the mug handles.


Then I simply tuck it under the
 right side of the mug like this
before pinning and glueing.


Repeat for the remaining mugs.
After applique you will press
 from the back and then use the
 5 1/2" Trim-It Ruler for each block.



Four cute mugs!



Last is the BUCKET BLOCK and first
 I glued the star down.


I placed my bucket onto the background 
and placed three of the snowballs
 on tucking the bottom two underneath.
Then I formed my handle until I liked
 the way that it looked ...
and pinned and then glued.
 

It's 9 3/4" tall from the bottom
 of the bucket to the top of the handle.


The handle measures about 
5 1/2" wide where it goes into the bucket.


Now it's time for the last snowball...


And the red handle.
Sue Glue everything into place after pinning!


Use the 7 1/2" and the 10 1/2"
 Trim-It Rulers 
to trim it up after applique.
***TAKE NOTE*** 
that I used the two 1/2" wide 
Marking Rulers
 to trim it to 11 1/2" tall.


Super cute bucket of snowballs!




I added these blocks 
to my design wall and they 
look so cute together!


Remember that I did a tutorial 
on how to make my Snow Star Blocks
 a few weeks ago so if you
 haven't watched it yet...



Thank you for sewing with me today!



I'll meet you right back here next Monday
for the tutorial on making the
Button Blocks, Carrot Block and 
the Snowman Head, Middle and Base Blocks.

Sew with you soon!
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails