Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Thanksgiving at Grandma's Sew Along - ShooFly Blocks!!

      


Welcome Quilty friends!!
Let's make some cute little blocks today:)



We are making the 
Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt 
which finishes at
 80" x 96"
It has a pieced flying geese border,
several machine pieced blocks 
and several applique blocks!
 

To make the appliqué blocks, 
 we will be using my 
Sew Simple Shapes called of course...
Thanksgiving at Grandma's!
 



The collection that we are using 
for the quilt is...
BAKED WITH LOVE!!

Baked With Love was designed by me... 
and produced and distributed 
to quilt shops everywhere 
by the amazing 

If you would like to know everything about
 Baked With Love
to view both storyboards...
to see all of the fabrics close up
 and to view the notions and ALL of 
the patterns that coordinate with it:)


So let's chat about the
Thanksgiving at Grandma's
 Quilt Fabric Kit.

Several shops are stocking the kit...
both brick and mortar shops
 as well as online quilt shops.
Just do a quick online search
"Thanksgiving at Grandma's Quilt Kit"
to find one.


The start date is October 12th 
for the applique block tutorials
but as I promised you in my 
I am beginning with
 the pieced block tutorials today:)


Last Monday I did the tutorial for the 
FALL FLOWER BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)


Last Wednesday I did the tutorial for the
 LOG CABIN BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)


Last Friday I did the tutorial for the
 BROKEN DISHES BLOCKS
to read my tutorial:)

On Monday I did the tutorial for the
CHECKERED TABLECLOTH BLOCK
to read my tutorial:)



Next up are the 
ShooFly Blocks.
Cutting is on page 45 of the guide.
I will continue sewing the pieced blocks
 in the order that they are in the 



My ShooFly Blocks 
are cut and ready to sew!



This is a traditional quilt block 
that I use often in my designs...


I like to sew it a certain way that I think
 is easier, faster and more accurate.


Instead of sewing half square triangles
for the corners I start by sewing the
 block together this way first,
just like you would a 9-patch.


Press seams open...


And use the 4 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
to check for accuracy and or 
trim it up if needed:)


Now is the time that I 
add the easy corner triangles.



Add one to each corner stitching from 
corner to corner like this.
You can use the Seams Sew Easy 
center line as a guide.
 If you prefer drawing your sewing line
you can use the marking rulers.


Trim an approximate 1/4" seam allowance
and press the seams open.


Use the 4 1/2" Trim-It again...


Fun and done!!!


I chain pieced the rest of my blocks into the "9-patch step"...


Then I added all of the background squares
 for the easy corner triangles.



I love these cute little blocks!!


They're sew fun to make:)
I'll be back on Friday to show you
how I am making the flying geese
blocks for this quilt.

Until then...
have a Quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori

Other Places to find me:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails