Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Movie Night Snuggle Quilt Tutorial!!


Hello cute people!
Welcome to my blog...
here is where I do my 
sew alongs and tutorials:)


Todays tutorial is all about 
my snuggle quilt called
 "Movie Night" 
66" x 88"


A few weeks ago I did my tutorial for these two vintage T.V. Blocks and I told you that I would show you my 18" Vintage T.V. Block too.


For this quilt I made 12 blocks.
I selected and paired up 24 prints
 (two for each block) 
from all 3 of my new fabric collections...







(these are all 108" wide)




I used the background prints for the screens and colors for the background in the T.V. Blocks because when we watch movies on movie night...we are either outside when it's dark with a projector or in the family room with all of the lights out and I wanted the screens on the TV blocks to light up the same way!



Sew together the 18" block
  exactly the same as the 
12" block tutorial that I showed you
except there is only one piece
 for the right side panel instead of three. 

But before you can sew up a block...
you will need to cut!
 Cutting for one block coming right up next:)




Red Tiny Daisy Fabric:
(3/8 yard)
 Cut 2 - 5" x 8"
Cut 1 - 3 1/2" square
Cut 2 - 2" x 12 1/2"
Cut 1 - 2" x 6 1/2"
Cut 2 - 2" x 3 1/2" 
Cut 2 - 2" squares
Cut 4 - 1 1/4" squares

Block Borders:
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 18 1/2"
 for the sides
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" x 22 1/2" 
for the 
top and bottom


Yellow Stitched Flower Fabric:
(fat quarter)
Cut - 2" x 15 1/2"
Cut 1 - 2" x 9 1/2"
Cut 1 - 3 1/2" x 9 1/2"
Cut 3 - 2" x 3 1/2"
Cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares (for knobs)
Cut 4 - 1 1/2" squares
Cut 1 - 5/8" x 21" (width of fat quarter)
and run it through a 1/4 bias tape maker.
These are for the antenna:)


Red Penmanship Fabric:
Cut 1 - 9 1/2" x 11"



I tucked in the ends 
of the antenna on an angle 
BEFORE I sewed these 
two pieces together:)


You can see the backside of 
the 1/4" bias hanging down here.


Just keep them out of the way 
when sewing your block together.


Sew your borders on 
after your TV is finished:)

Each block after borders
 should measure
  22 1/2" square at this point:)



Now it's time to 
fix those antennas and this time
 you won't need tin foil...LOL!


But you will need this
to glue baste them down for appliqué.

Just trim them about 
1/2" from the 
top edge of the block.
Appliqué by hand or machine:)


Cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares of 
 and grab the D-2 circle from the 
Bee Happy sew Simple Shapes
and your two 2 1/2" squares
 that you already cut.

Trace around the circle
 onto the interfacing.
This is your stitching line:)


Pair them up with 
right sides up and 
sew directly onto the line 
all the way around...
oversewing a bit where you 
started to secure your stitches. 


Trim an approximate 1/4" seem allowance 
and cut an X in the interfacing only for turning.


Turn right side out...
ad grab your 
for shaping it!


Give it a quick press 
on the fabric side 
after shaping.


These two knobs go here
 when you appliqué...
but not on the same fabric!


After you have finished the other blocks...
lay them out on the design board and switch up the knob fabrics:)



Sew your blocks together 
and quilt your quilt!
This is a perfect size 
(66" x 88")
for a one person 
(or maybe a two children) 
Movie Night snuggle quilt.


I designed the quilt so that 
you could easily make it 
into a two person snuggle quilt 
by simply adding four more
 blocks down the side...
easy peasy!!!

Adding 4 more blocks...
it will measure
88" square:)


I used 1/4 yard of the
 coral baby chicks  
 print for the binding.
Because it's 108" wide...
I only needed to 
Cut 3 - 2 1/2" strips x
 Width of Fabric:) 

I used 2 3/4 yards of the
 yellow bandana
 108" wide print 
both are from my
 Backings and Borders Fabric 
in the photo above.



I'll be making this quilt in several sizes for each member of my family.
I just may put a "personalized" block inside one of the TV screens so that they will be able to tell which snuggle quilt is theirs...so fun!!!


I'm looking forward to 
lots of movie nights 
with my family in 
the backyard this summer...
and you can bet we'll be
 snuggled up in a
 Movie Night Quilt

I hope your family will be too!
xx
Lori




8 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

This is so cute, Lori. We grew up without a TV, but I remember my babysitter - who was an older neighbor lady, who I called Oma, and she'd always put the TV on for me when I was there. Your block reminds me so much of those days.

Hedy said...

Love your TV blocks, so like what we had when I was a kid (without the rabbit ears of foil). I really like your circles, thanks for the tutorial on how to make them so perfect. I need them for my Dresden Plates. Thanks again and I love your fabric line.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Awwww Lori, this is the cutest quilt ever!! I love it

allthingzsewn said...

I agree with the others, very cute. I like the blocks within the screen for the whole quilt. Trying to think of something simple, to keep kids occupied during commercials maybe?

Sandy said...

I absolutely love your Bee Bsckgrounds! Will be ordering quite a few of these. This quilt is on my bucket list for sure, thank you!

Helen L said...

Cute block: I've already got your Bee Backgrounds and Basics, and just ordered the Alphabet book!! So much to do!!! :-)

Edie said...

Another adorable quilt! I remember TV's that looked like this - where you had to get up and change the channel! Your family will love these!

Happy stitching.

Maryse said...

This block is so sweet....I'm gonna make 2 quilts for my girls.Thank U

Related Posts with Thumbnails