Friday, January 24, 2020

Farm Girl Vintage 2 Quilt Along - Farm Girl Friday's - Week Thirteen!!


Good morning and welcome back to the 





We are using my latest book





And Farm Girl Vintage Fabric...



And making 2 Farm Girl Blocks each week:)


The first Farm Girl Block
 for this week is
 MAMA'S APPLIQUE 
on page 85 of the book.

You know that I grew up on a farm and
 also in a quilting family and so 
of course along with pieced blocks...
 also appliqué blocks were a 
large part of my life on the farm.
Of course I had to name a block
 after my Mom's applique!

She often appliquéd farm animal blocks 
for baby quilts and when the top 
was finished we would
 put it on the quilting frames...
make a luncheon...
 and invite everybody over to quilt it:)



I made 2 of the blocks in
 6" size for the sampler quilt on the cover.

Because there are 50 Farm Girl Blocks 
needed for the quilt and there are
 45 Farm Girl Blocks in the book
 I'm hoping that you will use 5 
of the Farm Girl Blocks from
 my first Farm Girl Book:)


Remember the small sampler quilt
 that I told you about?
I am using twelve 6" blocks from the book.



I made a 6" Mama's Applique
 this week to add...


And now I have four!
I'll show you each block that I make
 to add to my sampler as I make them:)


The next Farm Girl Block is 
MAMA'S APRON
on page 86 of the book.
Most grandma's wore aprons and so did mine...
but my mom always did too. 
She wore one when she cooked...
cleaned the house and did the laundry.
And she still does!!

My mom taught me and my sisters how to sew.
The first thing that she taught me 
how to make was an apron and 
I have loved making them ever since:)


I've already showed you the new kitchen
 quilt that I'm making using the large
 Mix and Match setting from the book.

I need fifteen 12" Farm Girl Blocks
 for the quilt and I'm of course 
including Mama's Apron.
I have 10 blocks made so far:)


This week I made another block 
from my first
 to add to my quilt as well.



PIE CHERRIES 
from page 54 of that book.


This is my small kitchen quilt made with
 6" blocks and alternate
 Mix and Match Blocks.
I'm making the large kitchen quilt 
with no alternate blocks...
all 15 will be a kitchen themed block.



I also made a large Mix and Match Quilt
 using 15 of the Mama's Apron Blocks.

Pictured above are all 3 of the large
 Mix and Match Quilts that are 
in the book but that is just a
 jumping off point for you to 
create your own...
 using any of my Farm Girl Blocks in 
any combination that you want to.

As I always say...
"you are the boss of your own quilt!"








I hope you have fun with your
 Farm Girl Blocks this week and I hope
 that I have planted a few ideas
 about more Farm Girl Vintage quilts
 and projects you may want to make!!

I'll be back here next week 
with two more blocks:)
xx
Lori





4 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Love your blocks and quilt layouts - and wish I could make each and everyone :)! The apron one is a must though, as my mom too wore one cleaning, baking, cooking and even gardening. I can still hear her voice telling me to put on my apron, before helping her in the kitchen - sigh* :)! You bring back the sweetest memories with your blocks, Lori!!

Unknown said...

Lori I love all of your quilt blocks. My daughters who do not quilt think your blocks are the cutest they have ever seen. They now recognize your work when they shop at quilt stores with me. I am so excited about making this quilt, I have wanted to make one for some time.
My first sewing project was also an apron. I made it in yellow gingham. Wish I knew what ever happened to it. I came from a non sewing family. I had to learn sewing from a teacher in Jr High and taught myself to crochet and knit.
Thank,you for sharing your many talents with us.
Kathy

Janice said...

I have your Farm Girl Vintage 2, but cant join a QAL right now, but I have cut out my first block. Taking my fabrics and your book on my upcoming retreat. I will be working on several of your blocks. Love your work.

deannasrealestate.com said...

I love all of your quilts. I’m making as many of them as I can. Please tell me about the apple pitcher set at the top of your blog post. I love it. Thank you for spreading joy through your talents.

Related Posts with Thumbnails