Monday, November 1, 2021

My Happy Place Sew Along - Week Eight!!





"YARN BLOCK"


Welcome to week eight of the 
"MY HAPPY PLACE"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

 I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.



For this sew along...
We are making the 
My Happy Place Quilt
74" x 88"


The quilt is made with my newest fabric
 collection called STITCH...



Along with several Bee Backgrounds:)


If you are just joining us 
and need a fabric kit...
 just do a quick google search 
to find out which quilt shops 
may have one left for you.
Simply type in 
"My Happy Place Quilt Kit"
to find one!

As all of my 
Sew Simple Shapes Sew Alongs go...
We are using the shapes
for the pattern of this quilt
and of course the Sew Along Guide and my tutorials each week.

The set of shapes that we are
 using for this quilt are called
MY HAPPY PLACE

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to read that post.


This week we are making the 
Yarn Block and the 
pieced Spools Block.
Grab your block kits that you 
have already cut
as per the sew along guide
and let's get started!!


The Sew Simple Shapes
 for the Yarn Block 
that you will need:
6 - L9
6 - L14
6 - L25

You will also need to 
have your background cut:
16" x 18"
and you will trim it to 
14 1/2" x 16 1/2"
AFTER
it is appliquéd:)


Ready to sew!



And now for the trimming:)



The inner curves on the yarn skeins
 and the cleavage area in the hearts
 will need to be clipped...


Before turning and shaping:)


I Sue Glued the hearts onto the labels
 and then glued the labels onto 
each skein of yarn before I 
went to the work table to layout
 the appliqués onto the background.



I found it makes glue basting 
and laying out this block easier!


You want your design to
 measure about 12" wide...


And 14 3/4" tall.


Pin into place...


And glue!


"YARN BLOCK"
After your block is appliquéd 
trim the block down to 
14 1/2" x 16 1/2"
will measure 14" x 16" 
after it's sewn into your quilt.


Now let's sew this quick and easy
 Spool Block:)



Start by sewing the smallest background 
strips to each side of the thread prints.


Now add the spool print 
to the top and bottom like this.


This is how I pressed my blocks:)



When joining together...
take note that the red spool 
has a strip sewn to both sides
 and the remaining spools are 
joined together as lain out here.


Now join the block together 
to look like this!


"SPOOLS BLOCK"
should measure 4 1/2" x 20 1/2"
 at this point but will measure
 4" x 20" 
after it's sewn into your quilt.


Have fun making your 
blocks for this week...
and I'll meet you right back here 
next Monday for week nine!
xx
Lori

**************************************

Click on the links below 
to visit each week of this sew along:




 

Week Three













Bee in my Bonnet
Vintage 1966


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails