Monday, November 15, 2021

My Happy Place Sew Along - Week Ten!!




"CROCHET FLOWER BLOCKS"


Welcome to week ten of the 
"MY HAPPY PLACE"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

 I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time during the week that 
 is convenient for you.



For this sew along...
We are making the 
My Happy Place Quilt
74" x 88"


The quilt is made with my newest fabric
 collection called STITCH...



Along with several Bee Backgrounds:)


If you are just joining us 
and need a fabric kit...
 just do a quick google search 
to find out which quilt shops 
may have one left for you.
Simply type in 
"My Happy Place Quilt Kit"
to find one!

As all of my 
Sew Simple Shapes Sew Alongs go...
We are using the shapes
for the pattern of this quilt
and of course the Sew Along Guide and my tutorials each week.

The set of shapes that we are
 using for this quilt are called
MY HAPPY PLACE

I have already posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to read that post.


This week we are making 
two pieced blocks
and three appliqué blocks...
 The Crochet Flower Blocks and 
 pieced Blocks Seven and Eight.

Grab your block kits that you 
have already cut
as per the sew along guide!!



The Sew Simple Shapes
 for the Crochet Flower Blocks 
that you will need:
3 - L6
3 - L31
3 - L32
3 - L33

You will also need to 
have your 3 backgrounds cut:
10" x 10"
and you will trim them to 
8 1/2" x 8 1/2"
AFTER
they are appliquéd:)


Let's get to stitching!!


Because all 3 blocks are made 
the same way I will show you
 my step by step of one block:)


All sewn and ready to trim:)


After trimming I clipped 
all of the cleavage ares 
between each petal of all 3 flower sizes.


Turned...shaped and pressed!


So cute!


I pressed my background in half 
both ways for centering purposes.
The large flower goes on first like this:)


Then the middle flower is next...
placed like this:)


And lastly is the small flower
 and the small circle in the center.
Pin into place and glue baste...
easy peasy!


Now make the remaining 2 flowers:)


"CROCHET FLOWER BLOCKS"
should each measure 8" x 8" 
after sewn into your quilt...

but after applique you will need to
 trim down the background
 to the unfinished size of 
8 1/2" x 8 1/2"


Okay let's make 
Block Seven next:)
This block may look hard to piece.
And actually is normally is...
but not with my easy peasy
 method that I call my
"Double Flying Geese"

And of course I'll show you how!



Start first with the 4 rectangles
 and make them into flying geese...


Like this!
You make these the exact same way
 that I showed you in my video tutorial
 for blocks one...two and four.
to watch it again if you need a refresher:)


Now we are going to make my 
"Double Flying Geese" 
by adding another easy corner triangle
 onto each side...this time in red:)






First side is completed and
 now for the other side...



And there you have it...YaY!
Repeat for the remaining three:)


This is how I pressed my double geese:)


Now all you have to do is to 
lay the block on your design board 
and sew it together 
just like you sew a none patch block.



Fun and done!!



At this point your block should measure
 8 1/2" square but because this is
 one of the blocks that go in the
 outer corners of the quilt...
we need to add the borders on.

Sew the short strips onto the sides first
 and then add the top and bottom.


Just like this!
Your block should measure
 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" 
at this point.


Now for Block Eight:)


We will start with the 
2 yellow squares and 
2 background rectangles and squares.


Sew them like this...


And now mark a sewing line
 on the back of the green squares.


And place them like this and sew...


Trim and press towards the green triangles.
Set them aside for right now 
we will finish them up in a bit.


Now you will need to sew two - 
4 patch blocks from the red squares
 and background squares...


Like this:)

Now you will need to add 
easy corner triangles 
onto the red corners...


This is my easy peasy and accurate method
 for sewing these segments!

Now add easy corner triangles 
onto the yellow squares using the
 2 remaining background squares...


Like this:)


Back of my segments:)


Lay them out and sew them together
 just like you would sew a four patch.


Your block will measure
 8 1/2" square at this point.


Add the borders on this block as well.



I hope you have fun making both 
of these blocks and also the
 3 Crochet Flower Blocks 
for this week as well!

  I'll be right back here
 next week for more:)
xx
Lori
**************************************

Click on the links below 
to visit each week of this sew along:




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails