Monday, March 20, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Eight!!




"GARDEN GIRL"


Welcome to Week Eight of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"


The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for your
  Garden Girl 
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


Okay...let's get ready to 
prepare the Garden Girl!



Here is my Garden Girl Block Kit.
This one is a big kit with many 
shapes and so that's why we are just
 doing this block during this week.

 Everything is all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
2 - O-1
1 - O-24
2 - O-25
1 - O-26
1 - O27
1 - O-28
1 - O-29
1 - O-30
1 - O31
1 - O45
2 - O-51
1 - O-52
1 - O-53
2 - O-63
1 - O-74

You will need to cut and prepare
 these two 1/4" straight bias strips- 
Watering Can top stripe: 
1 - 4" long
1 - 4"long for her hat and press each end
 under so it measures 3" finished  
and then press in half.

You will need to cut and prepare
 1/4" on the bias for flower stem 
1 - 6" long strip with one end pressed
under and a slight curve:)

You will need to cut and prepare
 these two 1/2" straight bias strips-
1 - 4" long for her apron waistband that 
measures 2 3/4" long after 
both ends are pressed under.
1 - 4" long for the bottom stripe
on the watering can.
 
***Another NOTE***
I had you cut the background for
 the Garden Girl 17" x 17"
as per the sew along guide 
but as you know from my 
Root Veggies tutorial that
 I've decided it will be
much easier to applique them after 
the sections are pieced...
So with that being said...
you will need to cut that background
to exact piecing size which is
14 1/2" wide x 15 1/2" tall
and sew it to the bottom of the 
Rake and Shovel Block
AFTER
that block has been appliquéd and
 trimmed down to 
7 1/2" x 14 1/2"




***NOTE***
There are several "specialty" things 
as far as tracing and piecing that
 you will need to do before
 sewing some of the shapes.

I'll explain each one in detail 
starting with O-24 the 
Garden Girl hair/face combo:)

Start by sewing the two fabrics together
 using a 1/4" seam allowance. 

When tracing O-24 onto interfacing
make a small mark on each end 
of diagonal line like this... 
 

And then draw a line onto interfacing
just like the one on the O-24.


Press your seams open like this 
on the face/hair combo fabric:)


Now pin into place like this
with the drawn line on the seam line.

Now just sew it like you normally would!!


Now for O-25 (her shoes and stockings:)
Sew the fabrics together using 
a 1/4" seam allowance
and press your seams open.

Also draw a straight line onto your
 interfacing like the one on O-25.


One more marked line is required 
for lining up:)
At the top of your traced line
on the interfacing...
measure down 1/2" and draw a
 new sewing line across the top.
Now you can place onto your fabric
where it needs to go on the fabric seam
like the one that you see
here on the right.


Pin into place and sew!


Next is O-51 her hands and sleeves combo.
You can sew the hand fabric onto the
 bottom of the fabric like this 
and that will work fine...
Or if its easier you can cut two fabric 
pieces that are as wide as the
 blue fabric which is 3"
There is plenty of the Beach 
Confetti Cotton from the 10" square
 to do this if you want to.
Pictured here is 2 1/2" x 3"
if you want to do the same.  


Remember to press seams open
regardless of either fabric
cut size that you choose.


Line up the fabrics and the bottom 
of the traced interfacing and 
pin into place for sewing!!!


Okay the last piece for "specialty"
 prepping is the Watering Can.
Measure 1" up from the bottom of fabric 
and Sue Glue the 1/2" wide stripe.

Then measure 2 1/4" up from that stripe
 and Sue Glue the 1/4" stripe. 


Now pin into place and sew:)


Here are all of the shapes that need
 cleavage and inner curve areas 
clipped before they are turned...
and shaped and pressed.

Some of these cleavage areas are deep 
so bee sure to use the seam roller
in these areas like I've talked about.


Here are the remaining shapes that need
 no clipping all sewn and ready to go!

Let's go over to the work table 
and glue some of them together 
in preparation for applique:)


Wowzers looks at all these shapes!!!
It reminds me of playing paper dolls:)

Of course...
we will not be able to applique 
the Garden Girl onto the Soil/Grass
 until that section of the quilt is 
sewn together but we can assemble
her and the watering can and Sue Glue
 them in preparation:)

First I glued the hat band...
the two ovals for the watering can handle
 and the flower center onto the flower.


Then I glued the watering can together.
Pictured are the measurements that
may help you when you glue yours!


Watering can is fun and done:)


I assembled my Garden Girl 
until she measured 18 3/4" tall.

 I took a bunch of photos with a 
bunch of measurements so that you can 
assemble your Garden Girl too!



I started measuring for you from
 the bottom up starting with her shoes:)

I hope the following photos help!












Okay...back to the final measurement
 photo where she is 18 3/4" tall:)


I'm not going to be able to 
glue the flower together or the
 watering can under her hand because 
I want to wait for those until 
it's actually time to applique 
and I can see how they look for placement
 next to the Hollyhocks Block.


But I just had to place them in her
 hands to take these photos for you.


If you are sewing 1/4" Cute Little Buttons
 onto to her shoes you could do it now 
or after applique...
 or after quilting...
that depends on you and/or your quilter!


Sideways view...


Upside down...


Other sideways view:)


Isn't she cute???...I just love her:)


Take note that when it's time 
to applique her
(after we sew the sections 
above the grass all together
 and then sew them to the grass) 
That 1" of the bottom of her dress
as well as her stockings and shoes 
will overlap onto the soil block.
She'll look adorable watering
her hollyhocks!!!


That's it for this week!! 
I hope that you have fun playing 
paper dolls and prepping 
your Garden Girl for applique:)


Thanks so much for joining me for the 
Calico Garden Sew Along
I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next week for the 
Bee Skep Block!   

Until then...
happy Calico Garden sewing!!
xx
Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails