Friday, December 20, 2019

Farm Girl Vintage 2 Quilt Along - Farm Girl Friday's - Week Eight!!


Well hello there:)
Welcome back to my blog for our  




We are using my newest book 



And Farm Girl Vintage Fabric


And sewing two Farm Girl Blocks
 each week until we have sewn all 45!!


First Farm Girl Block 
for this week is 
FARM to TABLE
and it's on page 52 of the book.

As a farmer's daughter...
I believe in the lifestyle of 
farm to table 
and I really wanted to make 
a block to represent that.

Also...
I wanted to do a set of utensils
 and add them to the book...
to use for kitchen themed quilts.


I really LOVE kitchen themed quilts...
but you probably already 
know that about me LOL

I made a 6" FARM to TABLE Block 
to go into this quilt in my kitchen.


These small Mix and Match Quilts
 are really fun to do.
They work up really fast too
 because of the easy peasy 
Mix and Match Blocks included ...
so that you only need to make 
8 Farm Girl Blocks for the entire quilt.


The next Farm Girl Block 
for this week is 
FRIENDLY GOAT
 on page 56 of the book.

Yes...he sure is super friendly
 and he gives free rides to 
all of the baby chicks on the farm:)

We will talk about that 
baby chick in a minute...
but first I want to talk to you
about feeding your 
FRIENDLY GOAT


Just in case you might want to 
give a bucket of grain to your goat...
I'm going to let you in on 
a little quilty math secret:)

Look above at piece "C" that you
 cut out of the background...


And then turn to page 72 
where you will find the 
Happy Horse Block
If you cut pieces
 "EE" - "FF" - "DD" for the bucket
and then cut piece "F" from the background...
and you sew them together...
  that will fit perfectly into 
your goat block to replace piece "C"
And you will have room at the top to embroider the handle:)
YaY!!
Isn't quilty math fun?!

You're welcome LOL


Okay...
now let's chat about the Baby Chick:)

I thought it would be 
sew fun to make a 
QUILTY PEEP MUG MAT


I sewed just the Baby Chick portion 
of the FRIENDLY GOAT Block using the
 12" Block cutting size


At this point the block measures
 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"

I cut 3 - 1" x 4 1/2" from the background
 and sewed one to each side.

I sewed the remaining one to the top
 and cut a green print 
the same size for the bottom.


Then I cut a piece 4 1/2" x 5 1/2" 
and sewed it to the right side 
of the cute little Baby Chick Block:)

The entire mug mat now measures 
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
I also cut a 2 1/2" x Width of Fabric 
strip and prepared it for the binding.


Before quilting I gave my Baby Chick
 some long legs and an eye:)
I used 3 strands gray from my
and backstitched the legs.
I did a french knot with 
3 twists for the eye:)


I cut a scrap of batting and a
 piece of backing fabric...
both a little larger than the mug mat.

Now it's time to quilt...


And then to bind.
How cute is that?!!


It's the perfect size for
 your favorite beverage.

If you need a quick and adorable gift 
for one of your quilty peeps...
Whip them up a 
QUILTY PEEP MUG MAT!!

Thanks for farming with me today...
I'll be back here next week 
with two more Farm Girl Blocks:)
xx
Lori




3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, these block are SEW CUTE! I love the Friendly Goat, he's just adorable! It's been so much fun following your sew along. I've never done this kind of piecing before! You are such a wonderful instructor, I may just have to try making a few blocks to see how I do.

Perfect Stitch by angie said...

Is there anything BUT a friendly goat? I want one in the worst way.

I sure like the idea of doing some super cute kitchen blocks. Or maybe one with just goats. haha

Merry Christmas to you and your family. You have been a inspiration to so many people and a blessing to this industry. Thank You.

Amy said...

I'm so lucky to have gotten the book, and the entire kit for Christmas! Can't wait to start sewing! Love your blog Lori!

Related Posts with Thumbnails