Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Checkers Block Tutorial!!


Oh my goodness!
Can you believe that we are 
on the last vintage block of the 



I have had such a special time
 sewing vintage with you 
and my grandma all year long:)





And it's been so fun doing it with my
 Farm Girl Vintage fabric too!


Today's tutorial is easy peasy.
We need 5 blocks that finish at
 3" each to fill in a
 small section of the quilt...
so I chose to make the classic
 9 patch vintage block 
in red and white and call them
CHECKERS
Notice that there are 2 variations 
that I'll tell you about right now!



I used the same background for all 5 of Checkers Blocks and so I cut:
22 - 1 1/2" squares


I used 3 reds and used the
 same red in one block.

For EACH of these 
3 Checkers Blocks cut:
5 - 1 1/2" red squares

Sew them together like this 
and press your seams open:)


I used 2 more reds for 
these 2 Checkers Blocks 
and for each block I cut:
4 - 1 1/2" red squares.

Sew them together and
 press all seams open.



CHECKERS
should each measure 3 1/2" 
before we sew them into our quilt:)



And speaking of that...
I've just been stacking the blocks 
on top of each other on my design wall 
until all of the blocks were finished.

Now I just can't wait to sew them 
together into ONE BIG QUILT and put it
 on my bed so it can be just like
 one big quilty hug from my grandma:)

I hope when you finish your quilt
 it will be like getting 
one big quilty hug from me!!


I'll be putting the quilt together 
in sections and doing a blog post 
for each section.

 To keep it all organized and easy to find...
 I will provide links for each section 
just like I've provided for each block.

The first section tutorial will be
 up here on my blog this Sunday 
and I'll continue on from there.

In the meantime you can 
go over of ALL of the blocks from 
beginning to end
 to make sure that you 
have them all completed!

************


1 - 12" Grandma's Star


1 - 15" Pattern Basket


1 - 15" Around the Corner


1 - 12" Little Farmhouse


4 - 6" Rhinestone


1 - 12" Vintage Lily


1 - 20" Star Shine


4 - 5" Humble


1 - 12" Egg Money


1 - 15" Quilting Bee




1 - 14" Sunday Star


10 - 3" Sweet as Honey


1 - 14" Bear Hug



1 - 9" Front Yard Flower



1 - 9" Granny Square
or
1 - 9" Memory
I'm using  my Granny Square Block 
for the front of my quilt 
and the Memory Block for the back label:)



4 - 5" Farmers Daughter



1 - 18" Potluck



1 - 8" Spool and Bobbins



1 - 15" Picnic



2 - 7" Sparklers



1 - 13" x 20" 4th of July Flag



1 - 6" Playing Card



1 - 15" Penny Candy



1 - 9" Mercantile



1 - 14" Family Reunion



1 - 14" Parade



1 - 18" Shade Tree


2 - 7" Wildflowers



1 - 16" Crossroads



1 - 8" Leftovers



1 - 9" Peony


1 - 8" September Star


1 - 8" Road to Grandma's


1 - 6" Six Sisters


1 - 12" Twirl


1 - 8" Wash Day


1 - 6" Fall Flower


1 - 8" Fall Social


1 - 8" Holiday Lights


1 - 4" Holiday Lights


1 - 8" Winter Flower


5 - 3" Checkers

Wowzers!
Just looky at all the 
"vintage lovelies" 
that we made together!!

Besides just a fun walk down
 memory lane of sewing 
vintage this year...
Today my hope is by showing you the photo of 
each block and how many you need 
and also their size helps you to
 check them off your list of 
"fun and done" 
Also...
take note that the size of the
 block I gave you just now 
underneath each one will be 
the FINISHED size after we
 sew it into our quilt.


Okay well I guess you know now 
what I will
be doing for the next 5 days...
if you need me this is where I'll be!!
xx
Lori 



If you are just joining us...
click on each block that we have
 done so far to go to the tutorial:


8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers
26. Parade
30. Leftovers
36. Wash Day
















1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I would love to see a book from this Vintage Sew Along with all of the amazing blocks and the stories and photos you've shared! I'm not caught up yet, but am having a blast with this! Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Related Posts with Thumbnails