Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Sections Five and Six!!


Welcome back to another 
episode of the 

Today we are doing the final sections
 of our amazing vintage quilt...
sections five and six:)

Let's get right to section five!
The blocks that you will
 need are the following:


8" Spool and Bobbins



8" Leftovers



8" September Star



8" Wash Day



8" Road to Grandma's




8" Fall Social


8" Holiday Lights



8" Winter Flower



This is what this section/row looks like.
We are simply sewing all eight of the
 8" Blocks together!


Of course we will need sashing...
so you will need to cut the following:
2 - 2" x 8 1/2"
7 - 1 1/2" x 8 1/2"



First step is to sew a 2" x 8 1/2" strip 
to the left of the Fall Social Block.
Then sew a 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" sashing strip 
to each side of the Spool and Bobbins.
Join all together.



For the middle section join the Holiday Lights...
Winter Flower and September Star.
When joining...sew a 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" sashing strip in-between.



Now sew the 
Leftovers Block - Wash Day and 
 Road to Grandma's together.

Sew 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" sashing strips 
in-between and add the 
2" x 8 1/2" one on to the right side.


Sew them all together into a row!
It should measure 
8 1/2" tall x 74 1/2" wide:)

Of course you can switch the placement
 of blocks in this row...
or you can put yours
 exactly where I did:)

Let's move onto section six.
The following are the 
blocks you will need:


18" Potluck



15" Picnic



18" Shade Tree



9" Peony



9" Mercantile



9" Grannys Square


You will need ONE
 9" Front Yard Flower...
remember during the sew along
 I made two versions?



I chose this one.



You will also need your Checkers!!



This is what section six looks like:)



For the sashing you will need to cut:
2 - 2" x 18 1/2"
2 - 1 1/2" x 18 1/2"



Okay...
first step is to sew the 
5 Checkers together.
They should measure 
3 1/2" tall x 15 1/2" wide
 so that you can sew them to the
 top of the 15" Picnic Block.

Sew the 2" x 18 1/2" 
sashing strips to each side.



Now sew the Potluck Block 
to the left side:)
This section should measure
 18 1/2" tall x 36 1/2" wide



Now sew two of the 1 1/2" x 18 1/2"
 sashing strips to each side
 of the Shade Tree Block.
This will measure 
18 1/2" tall x 20 1/2" wide



Sew two sets of 9 1/2" blocks
 on top of each other...



Then add them to each side
 of the Shade Tree.
It should measure 
18 1/2" tall x 38 1/2" wide



Sew them all together to form section six...
the very last one!

Okay...now that you have
 all six sections sewn together...
you can decide which order to 
sew them together in.


I posted the sections in order
 that I am sewing mine together
 but you do not have to.

They all measure 74 1/2" wide and so
 it doesn't matter the order.
Okay...
see those spaces in-between the rows?



***TAKE NOTE***
That you will need to sew a 
1 1/2" x 74 1/2" sashing strip 
in-between sewing each
 section/row together.

You will need to cut:
 10 - 1 1/2" x Width of Fabric 
strips and join them together. 
Sub-cut these strips into
5 - 1 1/2" x 74 1/2" 
that will go in-between each row.

You will not need to sew one to the
 top or the bottom after joining them all...
just in-between.

These strips are included in the
 1 1/4 yardage that I told you
 on the sections one and two post.

After sewing all of the 
sections together your quilt will measure
 74 1/2" x 92 1/2"


Now let's talk border:) 
I chose to use this Farm Girl Vintage 
low volume print for the border 
because I really just wanted my blocks
 to be the focus....
and I LOVE this print!!

I want my quilt to bee a Queen Size
 and so I'm going to cut 
8 1/2" wide borders and 
after sewing them on... 
my quilt will measure
 90 1/2" x 108 1/2"
That is a perfect Queen Size
 with a nice pillow tuck...
my Grandma loved a generous pillow tuck
 and that's what I wanted for this quilt!

I used 2 3/4 yards of fabric 
and cut four 8 1/2" strips lengthwise.
I then cut ALL FOUR 92 1/2" long.
Again...
you will need 4 - 8 1/2" x 92 1/2"

That's right! 
All four are the same length.
I sewed them to the sides first and 
then to the top and bottom.



I'm going to use my 
Farm Girl Vintage denim gingham 
for the binding.
I think it looks great 
with the border print.

I'm going to use a yard of fabric 
and cut it on the bias 
because I love gingham on the bias.
I'll need 420" of prepared bias.
If you are not cutting your binding on the bias:
Cut 11- 2 1/2" x Width of Fabric strips
 and join them together to 
prepare the binding.
That means 7/8 yards needed 
for the binding if not on the bias:)


For the backing of course 
I'm going to use one of my 108" Wide Backs.

I chose this one from my 
Granny Chic collection because 
when I designed it... 
I used all of the vintage
embroidery patterns that 
I got from grandma...
so I thought it was only fitting! 
I'll need 3 1/3 yards  


I'll be appliquéing this 
Memory Block onto the back.

Normally on a quilt label...
I would put my name and the name 
of the quilt and the year it was made.

But for this one I simply want a
  Memory Block with my Grandma's name on it.

As you know that's why I 
made this quilt in the first place...
a quilt full of memories of Grandma.


Oh my word.
I AM SO HAPPY 
about this quilt and 
I hope that you are too!


I hope that I have made my Grandma proud.
 I miss her every day.
I've been wanting to make a big quilt
 for my bed using blocks 
from the patterns that she gave to me.

Let me tell you...
I didn't even put a dent
 into her pattern basket.
I know that some of them are so old
 that they must have
 come from her mother...
who was my 
Great Grandma Martha Butterfield.

She absolutely LOVED 
to quilt and to garden.
Those were her two great passions
 besides her family.
 She taught all of her
 six daughters to quilt.
I'm so grateful for my quilting heritage.
If you do not come from a quilting family then you can teach your children and grandchildren so that they come from a quilting family:)


I'm so glad that I decided that 
instead of doing this on my own...
I would invite you to join me 
on this journey because it has 
been so fun each and every week 
to see your blocks and 
fabric choices on my 


Thank you so much from the
 bottom of my heart for saying 
YES and joining me for each
 and every episode of my 

There will be one more episode and
 it will be on December 31st...
making it a full year of 
sewing vintage together!
On the post I'll show you my 
Vintage Quilt 
all quilted and bound:)
YaY!


Let's chat then:)
xx
Lori

P.S. If you missed the Section One 
and Section Two tutorial:
and then
for Sections Three and Four







10 comments:

Gail LaCroix said...

This is going to be such a beautiful quilt especially with the border and bias check binding! I have so enjoyed this series and the history with each quilt block. It's brought back so many of my own childhood memories with my dear grandma. Thanks so much for taking us all on this ride with you. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt at the end of the month! Again, many thanks, Lori!

Terry J said...

Thank you Lori for a fun journey, wonderful stories and helping me to use up my stash! I'm still way behind on my blocks but will eventually catch up and get this beauty done.

lovetostitch said...

Absolutely wonderful, Lori!! So many blocks relate to most of us, even the stories! I have just a few blocks to complete before sewing mine together, but had to say it's been an honor to sew along and join in the fun. I sewed mine with bits & pieces of a few of your lines, and just love how they all look. Many, many thanks!! Smoochies!

Laurel Jensen said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to put my finished blocks together. My concerns: I have never pieced a quilt top this large, will long arm quilters be able to quilt this size, and if so can you share sources. I am in Utah County. Following along on your Vintage adventure as made for a great year!

Jackie said...

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful patterns! I've enjoyed following your journey. Your grandma would be proud......

Kim said...

What a treasure! Can't wait to see the finish, the backing is perfect.

Perfect Stitch by angie said...

420" of bias binding? You are a saint! I did not do this quilt along, unfortunately, but I sure enjoy the pictures and LOVE the vintage items at the end. You are a true talent.

Sandra from MN said...

Loved following along. Will you have a book that includes this vintage quilt along? I would be a happy customer! Best wishes!

Mama Bell said...

Dearest Lori! I don't know how you do it all, but you are good at it! Thank you for sharing this quilt along. I looked forward to it each week and I was actually really glad when we had a few off weeks to catch up. The patterns, the colors, the stories and memories of your Grandma--they all touched my heart and brought back memories of my sweet Grandma as well. Your Grandma is smiling and pleased with her girl right now. Thank you for helping me to beautify my home and make memories for my grand daughters through quilting. XO

Pam L said...

I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved this Vintage QAL. Your stories and beautiful blocks brought back sweet memories of both of my Grandma's. One taught me to sew, the other made beautiful quilts! I loved them both very much and am making TWO signature blocks for the back of my quilt. Thank you for a memorable journey Lori. I KNOW your Grandma is smiling down on you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails