Friday, March 8, 2024

Mercantile Sampler Sew Along - Week Six - Chickadee Block!!



"CHICKADEE BLOCK"


Welcome back to week SIX of the 
"MERCANTILE SAMPLER"
Sew Along!

Are you ready to sew with me?

I hope that you will join me here each week 
when I will be doing two tutorials
 weekly...every Monday and Friday.



We are making the 
Mercantile Sampler Quilt
88" x 88"




The quilt is made with my fabric
 collection called Mercantile:)



We are piecing all 25 blocks 
and then turning them into a 
12" circle to applique onto a
 4-Patch Block background!

I detail all of the supplies 
that you need to make the quilt in my
 Bee Prepared post right here on my blog.


I have already posted the
 post which not only details
 all of the supplies needed but
 explains how this sew along works.
I have also given the links there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guides

to download the sew along guide
if you have not downloaded yet.
to download the sampler block
 sew along guide.


As per usual for the first block in my 
new fabric collection Sew Alongs
 that FIRST tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own  
 I have posted the 
 Birthday Cake Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)

 
ANGEL STAR BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post



MAPLE LEAF BLOCK
For the tutorial and blog post

  
GRANDMA'S QUILT BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post


PUZZLE BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post

 
DUCK AND DUCKLINGS BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post

 
SPOOL AND BOBBINS BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post

 
SODA POP STAR BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post

 
SHOPPING BASKET BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post


 9-PATCH STAR BLOCK
for the tutorial and blog post

 
PEONY BLOCK
for the blog post and tutorial


Today we are making the 
CHICKADEE BLOCK


Here's mine all cut and ready to sew!


Cutting each block is lickety split
 because of the sew along guide
that is provided for you.


We are going to start by making 
8 quarter square triangles and we are
 using the 2 1/2" Trim-It Ruler

Use the four "D" and "A" squares.
Draw your double sewing lines 
onto the back of all of the "A"...
pair them up and sew them together
on the lines that you marked.


Cut them apart between the lines.
Next you will press then open:)
*TAKE NOTE*
One set makes two quarter square triangles.


After pressing them open
 mark another set of double lines onto 
the back of one of them like this.


Now layer them up just like this 
with the seams going the same way
 but the backgrounds and the color
on opposite sides 
and sew on the double lines again.


Cut apart again and press the seams open:)


Now you have two 
quarter square triangles from one set:)

Time to trim them up to the exact size...


Using the 2 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.


I really love making these!
The diagonal lines on the ruler match up
 to your seams for accurate trimming:)

Repeat with the other 3 sets of
 "A" and "D" squares...


Until you have 8 quarter square triangles!


Now layout the "B" and the "E" 
squares
and sew into four patch units.


Getting nice and flat open seams 
while cooling under the clappers:)


Each one should now measure 
4 1/2" square
 and you can use your 
4 1/2" Trim-It Ruler if needed!
Now let's sew our block together.


Lay them out on the design board like this 
with the "F" center square and the 
four "C" recangles and sew together 
just like a 9-patch:)


Back of my block after
 all seams are pressed open.



Add your borders...


And make your circle!
You can lay your interfacing out two ways
 for this and I chose this way 
because I thought it was easier to 
line up center markings with the seams.





Sew your 4-Patch background block:)


Both are ready to go!


Line up center lines with 
seams in the block like this.


Pin and Sue Glue!!


Ready for applique:)


Once again...after applique
trim it down to 14 1/2" square 
using the 14 1/2" Trim-It Ruler.

Continue to line up the seams 
in the block 
with the lines on the rulers that 
go both ways...straight and diagonal 
for easy peasy centering!





And now we have 12 blocks completed!
We are ALMOST to the halfway mark
and I am quickly running out
 of room on my design wall:)
For next week I think I'll shift 
all of these blocks down a row and
then start across the top with block 13!


I hope that you will love 
sewing YOUR twelfth sampler block
for our sampler quilt...
and then turning it into a circle!



I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next Monday for the 
Town Days Block tutorial...
xx
Lori

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails