Monday, April 10, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Eleven!!





"POTTING SHED BLOCK"
"ROOF and CHIMNEY BLOCK"


Welcome to Week Eleven of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for 
  this weeks blocks  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the  
TOMATOES BLOCK



This week we are making the
 POTTING SHED BLOCK 
and 
ROOF and CHIMNEY BLOCK


Let's start with the Potting Shed.
I have most of the pieces cut
 here on my design board...
but before I lay them out and label
them for you I wanted to show you 
my button jar that holds my set of 
STITCH 
Cute Little Buttons
There are two in this set that would 
be super cute for the doorknob.
I put one of each on the design board 
for you to sew and choose from!

Remember that it's up to you 
and/or your quilter when you
 sew the buttons onto your quilt.

Also...
you will need to cut three pieces
from your prepared 1/2" straight
 bias strips for the door window:
1 - 6 1/2" long
2 - 4 1/2" long 


Okay here are all of the 
pieces for the Potting Shed. 
A - Cut 2 - 5 1/2" x 18 1/2"
B - Cut 4 - 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
C - Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 18 1/2"
D - Cut 1 - 8 1/2" wide x 9 1/2" tall
E - Cut 3 1 1/2" x 8 1/2"
F - Cut 1 - 4 1/2" x 6 1/2"
G - Cut 4 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2"
H - Cut 1 - 3 1/2" x 12 1/2"


Before we start piecing...
Sue Glue the strips to the 
(F) window piece like this.
The long strip should be centered
and the short ones should measure 1 7/8" 
from the top and bottom edges 
and the two strips in the center 
should measure 1 5/8" apart.


Use an accurate 1/4" seam allowance
 when piecing each block.
Start by sewing the window frame
 for the door.
***NOTE***
You can press or sew over my 
Sew Handy Stickers 
and they will not leave a residue:)


Sew side strips first and press...
then add top and bottom strips.
I'll show the back of my block to you at 
the end if you want to press the way I did.


Add these side strips first as well...
and then the top strip.


Then add the bottom of the door.


Now the door is complete...
we can sew the side pieces on
 and let's put easy corner triangles on the little roof over the door!



Now add the strip above the roof:)


And finally...sew the two together!


Back door view 
LOL



Okay!
This is what your Potting Shed Block 
should look like at this point.
It should measure 
18 1/2" x 22 1/2" 
BEFORE you sew it into the quilt.

You can appliqué the window sashing
 bias strips on by machine or by hand.

***Take note that even though we are
 next sewing the Roof and Chimney Block
you cannot sew it to the top yet
 until we make several more blocks.

Look at your quilt finishing pages 
in the guide to sew how
 the quilt is sewn together 
and you will see what I mean!!





Okay...
let's add a roof and a chimney
 to our potting shed:)


Roof and Chimney Block:
A - Cut 1 - 8 1/2" x 14 1/2"
B - Cut 1 - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
C - Cut 2 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"
D - Cut 1 - 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
E - Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
F - Cut 1 - 5 1/2" x 22 1/2"
G - Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
H - Cut 1 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"


*** NOTE***
After the block is sewn I'm going to 
use my seam ripper and "un-sew" 
about 1" of the seam 
right where the ruler is ...
to tuck the small Vintage Trim 
ends into for the chimney smoke. 
 I'm pointing this spot out to you now
 so that you can see the spot!


Let's begin by sewing the chimney.
Sew the two (E) sides the the (H) 



Then add the chimney top 
and the (D) above that.

Now we can sew (B) to the left side.


Because these squares are larger
 than my Seams Sew Easy Guide...
mark a line for the easy corner triangles
 for each side of the roof and sew.





Now sew these 
remaining three pieces together:)


Don't forget to "un-sew" about 
an 1" for the Vintage Trim!


Back of my block:)


ROOF and CHIMNEY BLOCK
should now measure
13 1/2" x 22 1/2"
BEFORE 
we sew it into the quilt
which won't be for about 5 weeks.
 


***Again...
don't try to sew these together yet...
but won't this Potting Shed 
be cute when you can?

In the meantime...
you can applique the watermelon and 
the bird onto the roof so let's do it!


Here are my fabrics and Shapes for the
 Roof and Chimney Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
1 - O-2
1 - O-43
1 - O-66
1 - O-81
2 - O-82
1 - O-83
1 - O-84

You will also need to cut
and prepare 1/4"
straight bias strip for the legs: 
2 - 2 1/2" long

You will also need one 
1/4" cut on the bias because
 it is a curverd stem:
1 - 4" long and pressed on a curve 
with one end under. 


Take note the bird body and bird wing 
are traced in reverse so that 
the bird will face to the left:)

Also take note to sew the yellow fabric 
for the beak to the bird body fabric
(press the seams open)
before pinning and sewing your shape.


After sewing all of your shapes...
bee sure to clip the cleavage
and inner curves in these three
shapes that are NOT on the 
design board before turning:)

None of the other shapes need clipping. 



All pressed and ready to go on the roof:)
Now over to the work table!


Before pinning onto the roof...
Sue Glue the wing and legs onto the bird
 (1/4" apart)
and the flower over the flower center...
the stem onto back of flower 
and the rind over the watermelon:) 


Here's what the back of mine 
look like after glueing:)


I pinned my watermelon slice right
 as the bottom meets the roof...


And after I pinned...
 I laid out rulers to show you
 some helpful layout measurements:)

1. Right of watermelon is 2 1/2" from 
the edge of my background fabric.
2. Bird legs tuck under watermelon
 top leaving them 1" tall.
3. Bird legs are 1 3/4" in from 
right top of watermelon.
4. Tip of wing id 3/4" from top
 edge of my background fabric.

After pinning...
 I glued into place for applique:)


Now let's talk buttons
 for the watermelon seeds.
Of course these are optional:)

I'm using 7 buttons ...
2 different sizes from my 
Cute Little Buttons


I have been designing several
 collections of 
Cute Little Buttons 
for quite a while now so that 
I have plenty to choose from.

 I simply grabbed my large jar and 
chose some in the charcoal color.



I stitched them on using matching thread:)


Now let's talk about the
 swirling chimney smoke!
Can you see that I 
traced lines onto my background...


Using the embroidery section
 of the sew along guide...
my Easy Trace Light Box 
and a mechanical pencil:).


Before pinning....
I tucked the edges of the 
small vintage trim into the 
place with the "un-stitched" seam...


And glued a little at a time 
and pinned as I went.
Remember...
 it does not need a lot of glue.


I also placed glue on the end 
of the trim to stop from fraying.
When the glue was dry I removed the pins!


I'll just do a whip stitch over the 
top of the trim using matching floss.

I'll also applique the
 "un-stitched" opening closed.


YaY!
I love this block...it's sew sweet!!



In a few weeks so we will be 
piecing the GARDEN BLOCK 
that goes on top of this one:)

Because this block will 
NOT be trimmed down after applique ...
When you are doing it be careful and try 
not to handle it overmuch 
so that the fraying on your
 background fabric won't be excessive.


I feel very accomplished at this point 
because this is the center 
of the quilt and we are also
 over halfway done with the sew along:)


Of course this is not 
quite the way that these
 blocks will be sewn together...


But I just had to lay them out 
on my design wall for safe keeping...
and to give me continual inspiration!!

You could actually sew sections
three - four - five together
once all of those blocks are 
appliquéd and trimmed up.

I'm probably going to wait 
until closer to the end to do mine.


I'm simply in love with each block...
and I am loving every minute 
of planting my Calico Garden!!

P.S. Did you notice that my
 Prairie Calendar
 is on the month of February and 
as you are reading this it's April?

I have been working about 5-6 weeks 
ahead of time and pre-posting my photos
 on my blog for publishing
 on the correct date of schedule:)
Sew...
at the time I did this block 
it actually was in February 
LOL


Have fun building your 
potting shed this week:)
 
Thanks so much for joining me for the 
Calico Garden Sew Along

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next week for the 
Wheelbarrow Block tutorial!   

Until then...
Happy Calico Garden sewing!!
xx
Lori

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails