Monday, April 3, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Ten!!





"TOMATOES BLOCK"


Welcome to Week Ten of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for your
  Tomatoes Block  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



This week... 
let's grow our 
TOMATOES BLOCK



Here is my Tomatoes Block Kit.
 Everything is all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
10 - O-4
1 - O-17
20 - O-66
1 - O-87
5 - O-88

You will also need to cut
and prepare 1/4"
straight bias strip for the stems: 
1 - 13" long
1 - 9 1/2" long
1 - 6" long
1 - 3 1/2" long 


You will need to cut you background
16" x 24" 
as per the sew along guide cutting.
Make sure to press it in half
for easy placement of your shapes:)


After sewing all of your shapes...
bee sure to clip the four cleavage
areas on the garden urn before turning:)

None of the other shapes need clipping. 


All pressed and ready for their close up:)
Now over to the work table!


Start by centering the garden urn 
at the bottom and using your ruler
 and the pressing in your 
background to center it.
Pin it into place but don't glue yet.

Glue the small oval onto the
 center of the large oval...


When it's dry cut it in half.
These are your garden urn handles:)


Tuck them underneath the sides
 about 1/8" down from top and so the
 handles measure 10" from tip to tip. 
Use the lines on your ruler 
to keep them straight!


Pin and glue the handles and then
 tuck the center stem underneath the 
top of the urn centered on your
 pressing line on the background.

Glue the stem down and now you 
can glue the urn down as well.

Pin and glue the tomato at the top ...
making sure that the stem measures 
exactly 11 3/4" from the TOP of the 
urn to the BOTTOM of the tomato.


Now we will measure and glue the 
remaining stems working from the bottom up.

It's very important to use 
your rulers to keep things straight
 with every step along the way.

Measure up 2 1/8" from the 
urn top to place your stem.
 Also use a ruler horizontally
 to make sure your stem is centered.
Let me explain...
Because this stem is 9 1/2" long...
I placed my ruler with the 
4 3 /4" mark centered on the stem 
(which is measures half of 9 1/2")
 so that I knew where my stem should
 land on each end when glueing.

I used a ruler horizontally 
with the two remaining stems as well...
using it on the halfway mark of 
each stem length for correct placement
 of the ends each time I glued.

Good rulers are important!


Now measure 3 5/8" up from that stem 
and glue the 6" stem into place.


Again measure 3 5/8" up 
from the 6" stem and glue your final stem
 that measures 3 1/2" long.

YaY!

Stems are glued and now and next 
I'll explain how I glue each set 
of leaves on top of each tomato.


Start by pinning each bottom leaf corner
 at the top center of the tomato.

Now all that you need to do is 
simply to measure the top corners 
of the leaves to be 2 1/2" apart 
and place a pin in them.

That is their placement...
on each and every tomato...
easy peasy!


Now let's talk tomato placement.
Each tomato is placed with the stem
 end on the center top of the tomato...
and the tomato top is 
about half way up into the stem.

These two tomatoes on the 3 1/2" stem 
should measure 1 1/2" apart like this.


Next I pinned and glued the 
center tomato on the 6 1/2" stem 
and then added the leaves in the 
same way as I previously explained.


Then I added a tomato to each side 
and these should measure 1" apart.


Now for the bottom four tomatoes.
The two in the center are 1 1/2" apart...


And then the two outside tomatoes are
 1" apart from the inside tomatoes.


These four bottom tomatoes
 should measure 11 1/2" wide.

Now to finish up with all of the
 leaves working from the top down!


Remember that all of the remaining
 leaf tips should measure 2 1/2" apart
just like the others:)



Last four set of leaves to pin and glue.
P.S. Doubling up on these 
1 1/2" x 6 1/2" rulers really helps! 





P.S. again...
can I just tell you how much that 
I love this
Flower Power Pin Bowl?
I want one in every color!

For me it makes pinning faster:)


Okay...one final measurement for you.
It should measure 21" from the 
bottom of the garden urn
 to the tips of the top leaves
 on the top tomato:)

After you applique ...
press from the back and
 trim your block down to
 14 1/2" x 22 1/2"
I'll use my 14 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
for that when it comes time...
using it for the width
and for centering
like I've shown you before.

***It would work to trim the 
bottom background edge 1/4" longer 
than the bottom of the urn if you 
want it to sit on the grass when the
 blocks are sewn together...
but take note that is optional!
You could always leave the bottom 
of the urn un-appliqued until then.






I love this block and I love me
 some fresh garden tomatoes!!!
No plastic grocery store tomatoes
 for this farm girl:)

Have fun growing tomatoes 
in your garden this week:)
 
Once again...
thanks so much for doing the 
Calico Garden Sew Along
Are you having fun yet?
I sure am:)
I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next week for the 
Potting Shed and 
Roof and Chimney Block tutorials!   

Until then...
Happy Calico Garden sewing!!
xx
Lori



4 comments:

Peege said...

Lori, you are so talented. I adore your look and have a few of your cross stitch patterns. Working on Vintage Housewife at the moment. So many people (including me) enjoy the unstitcher which is another inspired tool you’ve created. My wish is the next version of the unstitcher will have a bigger handle with a hole in the top (and a ring in the hole?). So you can secure it to a project bag or wear on a chain, etc.

Anonymous said...

I’m doing your see along:) so fun to see each block come to life. Starting to think ahead to ideas on patterns/approach to quilting this type of quilt. Any ideas or tips?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to spend the hot AZ summer quilting, never quilted before. Lori I've watched almost every video you have on YouTube. They've been really helpful in my preparation. My first quilt is going to be the Prim Star runner. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

I’m love your work! I’m participating in this sew along as it goes and also working on your Let’s Bake quilt as well. I own almost every quilt kit & have a lot of sewing to do! Look forward to your future quilt alongside!

Related Posts with Thumbnails