Monday, April 17, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Twelve!!





"WHEEL BARROW BLOCK"



Welcome to Week Twelve of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for 
  your Wheel Barrow block  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the  
TOMATOES BLOCK



Last week we made the

Click on the name of the blocks
 to go to these tutorials!



This week we will be making the 
WHEEL BARROW BLOCK 



Here are my fabrics and Shapes for the
 Wheel Barrow Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:
2 - 0-1
1 - O-2
1 - 0-7
1 - 0-8
1 - 0-11
1 - 0-12
2 - 0-16
1 - 0-21
1 - O-37
1 - O-38
1 - O-39
1 - O-45
1 - O-46
1 - O-47
3 - 0-63

For the Flower Pot -
You will need a piece of 6" long 
prepared 1/2" straight bias.
Press under both ends 
so that it measures 4 1/2" wide.

You will also need to cut
and prepare 1/4"
straight bias strips for the spokes: 
4 - 5" long
You will need a 3 1/2" long strip
of 1/2" straight bias from same print
Also from this print you will need a 21"
long strip of 3/4" prepared straight bias
for the long handle and leg.
Press one end under and cut it to
measure 15 1/2" long for the handle.
From the remainder, press one end under
and cut the leg to measure 3 1/2"

You will also need two 
1/4" cut on the bias because
 they are curved stems for the flowers:
2 - 8" long and pressed on a curve 

Cut your background  
14" x 22"


For the flower pot you will trace the
 top two sections of the shape 
and leave the bottom section off:)


When you trace the pumpkin stems 
trace one in reverse...


And glue the 4 - 5" long strips 
onto your fabric square for the spokes
 BEFORE 
you sew the circle Sew Simple Shape.
I used the lines on my mat to center the strips.
You could easily use your 
4 1/2" Trim It Ruler by placing it 
on the Easy Trace Light Box.
When you glue them down...
trim a little less than half off 
of one of the spokes like this.
The circle will cover the raw edge:)


Next sew your circle...trim and turn.
After shaping and pressing 
it will look like this:)


All of the sewn shapes in the front
 are the ones that need 
some clipping before turning.


***NOTE***
The stars will be fussy to turn 
and look crazy when you do!
But no worries...it's do-able.
This is what mine looked like before
 shaping and just after turning.
My biggest tip is to clip the
 interfacing ALMOST to the points...
probably 1/4" away. 
That way you can turn each point 
by kind of just opening them up
 if that makes sense.


Use the seam roller 
(like how I showed you in my week one video)
 to shape ONE point at a time and 
press one point at a time 
until you can press the entire star
 and then use the clapper on them.


These are all of my shapes that 
needed clipping... all turned and shaped 
and pressed and ready to go!


And now the rest:)
Let's go to the work table
 and start the prep!


The first step is to glue 
the stems onto the pumpkins...
(the shorter pumpkin has a taller stem)

Glue the top onto the flower pot...
the centers in the flowers and
the circle into the center of spokes
(leave half un-glued for handle)
and then the spokes onto the wheel!


It's actually a very simple layout and 
I was surprised how quick it was.
If you use your 
12 1/2" and 20 1/2" Trim-It Rulers 
when laying out they will help 
a lot to keep you with those sizes.

I took a bunch of measurement pics 
for you to help along the way!
Above pic shows that the end of the 


handle to end of wheel measures 18"



11" tall from the bottom of wheel
 to tip of star...


as well as the flowers and flower pot.


8 1/4" from bottom of handle/
top of stem.


7 1/4" for the short pumpkin:)


Pumpkins together are a little under 9" wide...


The leg is 3" tall...


And here are reference measurements
 for the space between the
 wheel...bracket and leg.


Just keep in mind to keep the
 entire width less than 20"...
because that's what it will finish at.



Once you have pinned everything and 
you are happy with the placement...


It's time to glue it all down:)


Let the glue dry for a few minutes 
and then remove the pins.


Now it's ready for applique!


I love this block and I was excited 
to do it because it represents
 fall in the garden:)


After you Block is appliquéd...
press it from the back and use the 
12 1/2" Trim-It for the height...
the 20 1/2" Trim-It for width 
and trim it down to 
12 1/2" x 20 1/2"






Enjoy making your wheel barrow...
pumpkins and flowers this week:)


It's almost time that I will sew
a few of these blocks together
but not quite yet:)
Just like patience makes a garden grow...
it's the same for growing a quilt!
 
Thanks so much for joining me for the 
Calico Garden Sew Along

I'll meet you right back here
on my blog next week for 
three block tutorials!
Climbing Vine - Bee's - Garden Tools   

Until then...
Happy Calico Garden sewing!!
xx
Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this quilt along, love your videos. I am behind, but having fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails