Monday, March 30, 2020

Vintage Housewife Sew Along - Week Ten!!


Welcome to week ten of the 
Vintage Housewife Sew Along



 if you need to download the 
Sew Along Guide and 
if you are just joining us and 
need to read the Bee Prepared post 
that tells you all about this sew along:)



We are using Vintage Happy 2 Fabric...


And my new Sew Simple Shapes




To make the 
Vintage Housewife Quilt
74" x 82"


These are the blocks that
 we have done so far:


















Today we are going to hang the clothes
 for the Clothesline Block!




Okay...lets get started!

All of your clothes should be prepared
 and ready to glue baste 
if you followed last weeks tutorial:)



***NOTE***
It's very important that your
 background fabric for this block is
 cut 14" x 60" exactly 
as called for in the sew along guide.

I am telling you where I am placing 
the clothes according to that measurment.

Time to start!!
First measure 1" down 
from the top and draw a line.
This line will need to be drawn 
along the entire width of the fabric.

This is your top CUTTING line
 for AFTER your appliqué is completed.


Okay!
 Now from that line measure down 1 1/4"
 and draw another line
 across the width of fabric as well.
In other words...
2 1/4" from the top edge.

This second line is for the clothesline 
and where you will 
stitch the small Songbird Vintage Trim.


Let's do the dress first.
It's almost right in the center.
What I did is to find the center 
of the block (30" in) and place a pin...
you can see it in the photo above.

Notice that the center of the 
right collar aligns with the pin 
and that's where you will 
glue baste the dress.

Also...
I place all of my clothes 1/2"
 down from the clothesline.


Glue basted into place!


Now let's do the left edge of the block.
Grab the yellow socks and measure
 1/2" down from the clothesline and
 3 1/2" from the side edge...
 just like in my photo.

It looks like my socks are 
a little under 1/2" apart.
Glue baste into place!


The jeans...shirt...and nylons go 
in-between the yellow socks and the
 dress so you can go ahead 
and glue them down:)


Just lay them out spaced 
the way that they look nice...
remembering to measure 1/2" down 
from the clothesline.


Half of the block is glue basted!


Now for the remaining half:)


Start with the right edge this time...
and the red pair of socks.
Again...
measure in 3 1/2" from the side edge
 and 1/2" down from the clothesline.


Next place the laundry basket.
The BOTTOM of the laundry basket 
should measure 10" down from the 
clothesline and measure 
4 1/2" in from the edge.


Add the folded clothes and the 
very curvy 1/4" strips that have been
 cut on the bias for the handles.



I glued the boxers next just 
a little to the left of the 
laundry basket handle and 
1/2" down from the clothesline.


Three down on this side and two to go!


I placed the t-shirt next about 
1/2" away from the dress.


Now for the apron:)


Place it in the center 
so that you have room for the apron strings.
I cut my tie piece in half
 so that I have two!


Press one end of each apron string under
 and then place the raw edges
 under the waistband first.


I placed little drops of glue
 onto the back of the apron string...


and shaped my apron string 
 curvy like this and glued down...
now repeat for the other side.


The bottom of my apron measures 
6 3/4" up from the edge.


Apron is glue basted!


Entire block is glue basted...
YaY!!!


View from the other end:)


Now for the basting the clothesline:)
Remember that I used aqua because
the Songbird was not available yet.


I lightly glued mine down and then
 stitched it down with matching thread 
during the applique.


Clothesline on!


Now for the clothespins:)
You will need to prepare 18 
that measure 1 1/2" long after 
pressing each end under.


All ready to pin the clothes to the line!


Measure 3/4" down from the CUTTING LINE 
(your first line that you drew)
and glue baste your clothespins 
in the center of each sock like this:)


Continue on down the line
 LOL pun intended:)




Clothes are all hung on the line
 and now we are ready to applique.
YaY!


After applique it's time to trim up 
so that you can add the borders.

You will need scissors and the 
12 1/2" Trim -It Ruler.


Start by using the scissors to 
cut on the top line that you marked.



Now use the ruler and place it
 on the top edge and trim the
 bottom edge all along the block
 so that it all measures 12 1/2" tall...


Like this!
Now for the sides.


Place the center of the block 
onto the your cutting mat like this.

I placed pins on my center again 
so that I know where it is.


Use the mat lines to measure and cut
 28 1/4" from the center of the block...


Like this.


Repeat for the other side.

Your block should measure 
12 1/2" tall and 56 1/2" wide 
at this point...before borders!


Sew the two 1 1/2" x 12 1/2" 
side borders on first.


Sew the 3 - 1 1/2" x Width of Fabric 
strips together.
I like to join mine on the 
diagonal and press my seams open.
Sub cut into 2 strips that are 58 1/2" long.


And sew to the top and the bottom.


Oh my goodness!
Our clothesline block is 
completed and I love it!!



Next week we will piece the apron
 and sew the border squares.

I'll be right back here then with
 the tutorial for you:)
xx
Lori
















4 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Yay!! Thank you for all the pictures Lori! Hope to finish this Clothesline block today. Your sew along was just what I needed to keep me busy at this unsettling time with the Virus. Loved the extra intricate work with these super cute and vintage blocks - bringing sweet memories back along the way! You are such a blessing with your work.

Amandalee said...

Love this block! Reminds me of playing in my mamas sheets on our clothes line when I was little...they always smelled so fresh! Hope ur are well!!

Gladys Dresner said...

I just had to tell you how much I enjoy your work. It takes me right back to childhood. I hanged tons of clothes on the line. We also had tall poles to help keep the clothes off the ground...the lines would get stretched from all the weight of the wet clothes. The poles had a forked end to push the line up then wedged on the ground. When they weren’t being used for clothes the lines held up old blankets that were anchored to the ground by clothespins. We spent hours in our “tents”. Such sweet memories. You have an amazing gift of detail and recall!! Thank you so much. It is always a joy to see what you create next.
Glady

Unknown said...

I remember Mom hanging clothes on the line for our family of seven mid winter, freezing her fingers and hurrying to get all hung before the clothes froze, down in Sanpete County, Utah

Related Posts with Thumbnails