Thursday, May 23, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 18 - Spool and Bobbins Block!!



Well hello and thanks for
 tuning in to week 18 of the 


I have another vintage block
 from my grandma's pattern basket 
that I'm excited to share with you!




I'm using my 
Farm Girl Vintage 
fabric collection...


And Bee Backgrounds:)


For this block I used 3 different
 colors and a background ...
as well as a medium print...
or what some call low volume 
and what I call a "busy background"


The name on this block 
pattern page was 
"Double Cross" 
I chose to name mine
 SPOOL and BOBBINS 
because that's what it looks like to me!


I have some of grandma's 
sewing supplies and tools...
and among them are 
vintage spools of thread and 
bobbins from her machine.

I also have several of her 
sewing containers that she kept them in.

I love the containers and 
their happy colors and vintage style.


This block is perfect to use
 2 1/2" squares from your stash.

I think it would be a 
super cute quilt with
 scrappy happy blocks 
of all different colors of
 spools and bobbins:)

Okay...now for the tutorial 
so let's get cutting!


From the background you
 will need to cut
14 - 2 1/2" squares


From the "busy background" 
you will need to cut
 4 - 2 1/2" squares


From the fabric for the spools
 you will need to cut 
6 - 2 1/2" squares


From the fabric for the thread 
you will need to cut 
1 - 4 1/2" square


For the bobbins 
you will need to cut
 4 - 2 1/2" squares


Start by adding an 
Easy Corner Triangle 
onto each corner of the thread square.


Sew the spool fabric square
 onto opposite corners first.


You can either draw a line
 from point to point or use the 


Trim the excess off and press seams open.


Now you can add the background squares
 onto the remaining two corners.
This segment should measure
 4 1/2" square at this point.


Okay.
Now you have 4 
of each color of 2 1/2" squares 
left for a total of 12... 
and you have 12 
background squares left as well.


Pair a background square up 
with each color print and 
sew from corner to corner...


And make 12 half square triangles that measure 2 1/2" square each.


Now make two each of these segments.

You should have a total of 6 
that measure 
2 1/2" x 4 1/2" at this point.


Lay all of the segments out 
and sew them together into 3 rows....


Like this:)


Now join the 3 rows 
together to make your block!


This is the back of my block...
I pressed all of my seams open.


I remember playing underneath 
the quilting frames at grandma's house
 when I was a girl and 
too young to put stitches 
in the quilt that was
 the roof over my playhouse.

I was fascinated by the needles
 going up and down...up and down...
making tiny stitches. 
I loved watching the designs 
that the tiny stitches made 
on the back of the quilt.

Grandma let me play with her 
thread box and sewing containers
(if I was careful)
 and I remember stacking 
the spools into towers lol.

It was my job to thread the 
needles for grandma and my 
great aunts because
 "my eyes were young and 
can see better than ours"


SPOOL and BOBBINS
should measure 8 1/2" square 
before we sew it into our quilt:)


Thanks for sewing vintage with me today!
I'll be back next week 
with another block to share.
xx
Lori

If you are just joining us...
here is the list of the 
Vintage Blocks that we have done so far.

Click on each one 
to go to that tutorial:

8. Humble
15. Memory




4 comments:

Gail LaCroix said...

Thanks for another wonderful vintage quilt block! I enjoyed reading about your memories of being under the quilt frame. I didn't know anything about quilting until I got married and my husband's dear Aunt Ruthie gave us a quilt for a wedding gift. When my boys were young we would hand quilt on a big frame with other women at her church. The boys played with their cars/trucks under the quilt frame, but when spool of thread would roll too far from the women, it was my sons's job to push up from underneath to roll the spool of thread back to them. Quilts are beautiful, but sometimes the memories of them being made are even more so.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Wow, Lori. I used to play under the frame at my granny's too! I loved when the neighborhood ladies would come and bring a pot lunch and quilt all day! I, too, was "allowed" to thread the needles for them! LOL But, occasionally I got a real treat and Granny would let me quilt on the bottom of the quilt! I later realized she would take that messy stitching out when I went home, but at the time, it was a wonderful feeling! Thanks for sharing your story. I really like this block and it's name!

Becky said...

Oh, what wonderful memories you have. Thank you so much for sharing them. The "spools" in this block reminded me of the pink rubber spools my mom used to curl our hair with. She would roll our hair in them and then fold the one top over to secure it in place. Boy did they give you a tight curl! I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing each vintage block you have shared with us, along with the beautiful memories. I look forward to hearing more stories and seeing more blocks. Thank you again for sharing.

Regina said...

Oh Lori, what a cute block and a sweet story into the bargain! I have been wanting to make a spool quilt, but I have never seen one with the spool and the bobbins! I love it and can't wait to get started!

The story was just too stinkin' cute! I missed out on playing under the quilting frame as my grandma lived so far away, but now I have my granddaughters close by. One time when we were coming home from church at night, I couldn't see the turn I needed. My little granddaughter said, "That's okay Grammy. My eyes are bright and I can see it!"
Thanks again for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails