Monday, May 8, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Fifteen!!



"FRUIT BASKET BLOCK"




"SEEDLINGS BLOCK"
"BLUE BIRD BLOCK"


Welcome to Week Fifteen of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for 
  this weeks blocks  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the  
TOMATOES BLOCK



Last week we made the

Click on the name of the blocks
 to go to these tutorials!



to go to my tutorial for the 
WHEEL BARROW BLOCK

 
for my tutorial on the
GARDEN TOOLS BLOCK
CLIMBING VINE BLOCK
BEES BLOCK


for my tutorial on the
"BUTTERFLY BLOCKS"
"SNAIL BLOCK"
"GARDEN BLOCK"

This week we are making three blocks
SEEDLINGS BLOCK
BLUE BIRD BLOCK
FRUIT BASKET BLOCK


Let's get started with the 
Seedlings!




Here are my fabrics and Shapes 
for the Seedling Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

***NOTE***
I don't know what I was thinking 
when I cut twice as many fabrics
 for the leaves lol
so ignore the 8 green rectangles 
on the design board and
 pretend there is only four:)

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this blocks:

4 - O-22
4 - 0-61


You will need 4 pieces of 1 1/2" long 
prepared 1/4" straight bias. 


Cut your background  
7" x 14"


My shapes are sewn...
and no clipping was needed for
 the pots 
but clip the cleavage
in each set of leaves.



Pressed, shaped and ready to plant! 
Now let's go lay out the block:)



I have everything that I need here
 to plant my seeds!



When laying out the seed pots I pressed 
the background in half horizontal
 so that I could place two of them 
1/2" away from the center fold because 
the top corner of pots are 1" apart.
  
I measured 1 1/2" up from the bottom edge
 and pinned the bottom of the pots.


From corner to corner 
the pots measure 10 3/4" long.


I placed and glued the stem first...
I then measured in 1 1/4" from the
 top edge to place the top of the leaves.


I continued down the row until 
I had all of my seedlings planted:)
I'm going to say that 
these are sunflower seeds!
What are your seeds going to be?

The measurement across the seedlings
 is 11 1/2" across.


All pinned and glued...


And ready for applique!




"SEEDLINGS BLOCK"
After your block is appliquéd
press from the back and 
trim it down to
 5 1/2" x 12 1/2"


Okay!
Let's make the Blue Bird:)


Here are my fabrics and Shapes 
for the Blue Bird Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this blocks:

1 - O-81
1 - 0-82
1 - O-85

You will need to cut 
a piece of fabric for the beak
 1 1/2" 3 1/2"

You will need 2 pieces of 2" long 
prepared 1/4" straight bias
with one end pressed under. 


Cut your background  
7" x 9"


Before you sew the bird you will 
need to sew the beak fabric
 to the bird fabric like this...
and press the seams open.


Pin so that it lines up with the 
beak like this and sew as per usual!!


My shapes are sewn...
and no clipping was needed for
 the grass or the wing 
but clip the
 cleavage and inner curve 
at the top of bird's neck.


Pressed...shaped and ready... 
Now let's go lay out the block:)


Let's do this!


I measured down 1" from the top
 and placed the top of his head to pin.
 

For the grass I measured in 1 1/2" 
from the right side edge of background ...


And 3/4" up from the bottom.


When I added the wing...
 I made sure that it did not go higher 
than the head so that it will not
 be cut off when trimming up the block.
***NOTE***
Speaking of trimming off..
we will end up trimming off some 
of the bottom of the grass 
when trimming the block.
In other words there is no background
 showing underneath the grass
 when the block is finished 
and sewn into the quilt.


When I glued down the legs
I measured them 1" long and
 the pressed under edge on the grass.



All ready for applique!!



"BLUE BIRD BLOCK"
After your block is appliquéd
 trim it up to measure
 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
(and remember that you will be trimming 
off a portion of the grass at the bottom)


Now that we have the 
Seedlings and the Blue Bird made...
lets make the Fruit Basket Block:)


Here's my fabrics for the applique part 
of the Fruit Basket Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this blocks:

10 - O-6
1 - 0-48
6 - O-58

Cut your background for
 this top part of basket 
13" x 18"
and press it in half so that
 you have the center markings
(you will sew this onto the
 top of your pieced basket later)


Here are my fabrics cut and ready 
for piecing the bottom portion of the block...which is the basket.
***NOTE***
I noticed in the guide that the 
two 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" "A" squares
need to be cut 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"

You can see above that the A and D
squares are Easy Corner Triangles:)


Let's start by sewing this large triangle
 shape which is used for the 
greenery background behind the fruit.
You will sew this shape just a 
little differently than normal because
 you won't sew along the bottom traced line.

Just sew along the sides and on 
the short line across the top.



Backstitch on the bottom on each side 
to secure for when you trim...


Like this:)


No clipping needed!!


All appliqués are ready to go
but let's peice the basket before 
we go over to the worktable.


Mark a line from point to point
 on the back of the 4 1/2" squares.


Add the Easy Corner Triangles (A)
 onto each side of the basket.


Also add the Easy Corner Triangles (D)
onto each side of the basket bottom.


Next add the background rectangles (D)
 onto each side of bottom of the basket.


Finally add the (B) strips onto each side.


Back of my basket block:)


Okay let's prepare for layout by joining
 the top background to the basket. 
Mark the 
center of both fabrics.


Mark the bottom center of the 
triangle applique and pin it to the
 bottom center of background like this.


Join them by sewing along the bottom 
using an approximate 1/8" seam allowance. Backstitch at start and stop points.


Now pin the basket and background 
fabrics together and make sure that they
 are all pinned on the center marks.
Sew with a 1/4"seam allowance 
and press towards the basket. 


Okay now we can begin our layout!


Start by pinning the bottom row of fruits.
Place the inside of the 
2 center circles on the center line.
All 4 circles should touch but not overlap.
I placed the leaves behind the 2 
outside circles with the tip of
 the leaves just touching the side 
of the tall green triangle 
but not overlapping it.
The width between the leaves is
 13" across from tip to tip.
At this point I glued down the leaves
because we will place the 
second row of fruit on top of them... 


like this:)
Take note that I've also been 
gluing down the green triangle
 from the bottom up as I go.



I haven't glued any circles down
 at the point because I'll be
 tucking leaves behind them.
Next I pinned all the circles in place.


Second set of leaves from the bottom
 are 10 1/2" apart from point to point.


Top set of leaves measure 
8" wide from tip to tip.


Okay let's talk height and 
seam allowance at bottom of basket.
From top of fruit to the very bottom
 of the basket it measures exactly
 16 1/2" tall which is the exact height 
(and width) that it will be 
squared up after applique.


Closer look here:)
So the reason that I'm telling you this
 is so that you will know that when 
you are trimming up the bottom edge,
 you will be cutting some of the bottom
 of the basket off as you are trimming up.
In other words...
You will need to keep 1/2" of background
 above the top fruit so that you won't
 sew into it when sewing 
the blocks together at the end.
Whew!
That was a lot of words but I
wanted to explain in detail:)


Now go ahead and glue 
all of your fruit aka circles:)


All ready for applique!
Using the 16 1/2" Trim-It Ruler 
will be very helpful when it
 comes time to trim it up after
 your applique is completed
trim it to 16 1/2" x 16 1/2"
Take note that the bottom pieced basket
is already 16 1/2" wide and that part:)


"FRUIT BASKET BLOCK"




It's sew exciting that we now 
only have one more
 section of blocks to make.
Yippee!
I'll be back next week with the 
tutorials for the
 Brown Bird Block and both 
Spool Flower Blocks:)
Until then...
Happy Sewing!!
xx
Lori

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails