Monday, May 1, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Fourteen!!



"BUTTERFLY BLOCKS"
"SNAIL BLOCK"
"GARDEN BLOCK"



Welcome to Week Fourteen of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for 
  this weeks blocks  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the  
TOMATOES BLOCK



Last week we made the

Click on the name of the blocks
 to go to these tutorials!



to go to my tutorial for the 
WHEEL BARROW BLOCK

 
for my tutorial on the
GARDEN TOOLS BLOCK
CLIMBING VINE BLOCK
BEES BLOCK


This week we are making the
"BUTTERFLY BLOCKS"
"SNAIL BLOCK"
"GARDEN BLOCK"


Let's get started with the 
Butterflies and Snails!


Here are my fabrics and Shapes 
for the four blocks all cut...
all traced and ready to go!

Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for these blocks:

1 - O-6
3 - 0-49
3 - O-50
1 - 0-80

You will need 3 pieces of 4" long 
prepared 1/4" straight bias.
Press each end under 
so that they measure 2 1/2" long.

I used 2 - 1/4" Cute Little Buttons
 for each of their antenna 


Cut each of your four backgrounds  
6" x 6"



My shapes are sewn...
and no clipping was needed for the circle
but clip the inner curve on top
of the snail body and the cleavage
in each butterfly wings.


Pressed, shaped and ready to play! 
Now let's go lay out the block:)


I have everything that I need here
 including the 4 1/2" Trim-It Ruler
 and my cute little bowl of 
Cute Little Buttons!


When laying out the butterflies I pressed 
the background in half vertically
 so that I could place both wings
 directly onto the center.
 
I measured 1 1/2" from the top edge
 and pinned the top wings...
then measured in 1 1/2" from the
 bottom edge to pin the bottom wings.


I placed the body in the center
 and pinned and glued everything!
Now go ahead and do the remaining two butterflies in the same way.


For the snail I measured up 1 1/4" 
from the bottom and placed the body.



Then I measured 1 1/2" down from
 the top and placed his body:)
I pinned and glued and that was it!

Next I traced and embroidered antenna
 from the guide and sewed on the buttons.


All four of these blocks were 
fun and super easy peasy!



After each block is appliquéd
press from the back and 
trim them down to
 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"



Okay!!
Now let's go to the machine and 
piece each letter for the Garden Block:)


Here are my fabrics all ready
 to sew together into the Garden Sign.
There is no applique in this block
it's all machine pieced.
All of the cutting for these three
 fabrics you of course will find 
in the sew along guide on 
pages 5 and 8 and 11




I took a screen shot of these pages so
 that there would not be any confusion:)

***NOTE***
I noticed that on the 
Daisy Baby Chick background print
for letter "E" that the 
piece b cutting in the guide is 
1 1/4" x 2 1/4" 
but we actually need it to measure
1 1/4" x 2 3/4"
and the 2 pieces a in the letter "N"
block should be 1 1/4" wide not 1 1/2" 

Okay!
Let's go to the machine and 
sew one letter at a time:)


We are all quilters so I'm sure it 
goes without saying that it's 
very necessary when piecing to use
 an accurate 1/4" seam allowance
but I'm reminding you anyway!!

Here are all of my pieces for Block G.
Just for reference the squares 
that you see that are
 laid out on the diagonal...
 those are the ones that you 
will need to sew on as 
Easy Corner Triangles.
On this block you will see that 
I sewed all 3 of those on at the end 
but that is not always 
the case for every letter.



For each letter I took photos of my process.
These are all easy peasy letters to make
 but I'm sure the photos will help!




Letter G should measure 
3 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.


This is how I pressed my seams:)
I'll show you a pic of the back of 
each block so you can see 
 how I pressed them as well.


Now onto letter A Block.





Letter A should measure 
2 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.


I added the Seam Roller in these 
two photos to remind you how helpful 
it is to use especially when 
you are pressing seams open.


Letter R Block




Letter R should measure 
2 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.



Letter D Block


Letter D should measure 
2 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.



Letter E Block






Letter E should measure 
2 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.



Letter N



Letter N should measure 
2 3/4" x 5" at this point 
which is the unfinished size.



YaY!
Now that your letters are sewn 
it's time to join them together
 with the "F" strips.
Take note that there is no F strip
 between the R and D letters...
just sew them together.

After joining it should measure
 5" x 17" at this point. 
(unfinished)


I pressed towards the strips.
Next I added the D borders to the top 
and the bottom and lastly I added
 the E borders onto each side. 
I pressed towards the borders.
It should measure 
6 1/2" x 18 1/2" at this point
(unfinished)

Okay let's do the scalloped border!!


Sew an Easy Corner Triangle (C) 
onto the top corners of each 
rectangle (A)
and press towards the triangles.


Make 24.
Each rectangle should measure 
1 1/2" x 2 1/2" at this point.
I used my 2 1/2" Trim - It Ruler
 to trim mine up if needed.


The four corners for the 
scalloped border (B)
all have just one Easy Corner Triangle
 sewn onto one corner.
Again press towards the triangles.


Make four!


For the sides borders sew 2 rectangles 
together and then add one 
of the corners onto each end.
Press all these seams open.

Add these to the garden block first
 and press away from the scallops.

For each of the top and bottom scalloped 
borders sew 10 rectangles together
and press all these seams open.

Now add to the top and bottom 
and press away from the scallops. 

At this point it should now measure
8 1/2" x 20 1/2"


Final step!
Add the side background "G" Borders
 to each side and press towards 
those "G" background borders.

!!Wowzers!!
That was a lot for this cute 
garden sign and now it's completed 
and I love it sew much!!


"GARDEN BLOCK"
should now measure 
8 1/2" x 22 1/2" 
at this point (unfinished)


What an accomplishment this week's blocks
 are for all of us making our quilt!!!


Up to this point if your blocks 
are all appliquéd and trimmed up
you have been able to sew sections 
1 thru 7 together.
Yeeesss!!!
After next week you can 
sew section 8 together as well.

I'm so proud of you all!!
Next week I'll be right back here
 for three more block tutorials
Blue Bird - Seedlings and
Fruit Basket Block

In the meantime...
happy gardening!
xx
Lori
 





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails