Monday, May 15, 2023

Calico Garden Sew Along - Week Sixteen!!




"BROWN BIRD BLOCK"
"SPOOL and FLOWER BLOCKS"



Welcome to Week Sixteen of the 
"CALICO GARDEN"
Sew Along!
Join me here each week 
when I will be doing tutorials
 on the blocks for the quilt.

Of course because we are all sewing 
from all around the world  
we all have different time zones...
But I will be posting each Monday 
right here on my blog 
and you can follow my tutorials 
any time each week that 
 is convenient for you.


We are making the 
Calico Garden Quilt
90" x 90"



The quilt is made with my latest fabric
 collection called Calico...

I hope that you all have all 
received your templates and 
fabric kits by now...
 and that we are all ready to begin!!


If you still need them ...
just do a quick google search for 
"Calico Garden Quilt Kit"
to find shops who still have some left.


We are also using the
Calico Garden
Sew Simple Shapes

I have posted the
 post which details all of the supplies
 for the sew along and how it works.
I have also given the link there 
for the free PDF Download 
of the Sew Along Guide

to download the sew along guide.


As per the sew along guide 
cutting instructions
 you should have everything for 
  this weeks blocks  
 all cut and ready to go!

As per usual for week one in my 
Sew Simple Shape Sew Alongs
 the FIRST week tutorial is a video.

Because I now have my own 
 I have posted the 
 Blue Coneflower Block
Tutorial there.
to visit my channel and watch the 
tutorial and I hope that you love it!
Pretty please leave me a comment
over there and let me know:)

If you like what you see 
and my other videos there...
click on subscribe and click on the bell
 to be notified whenever
 I post another tutorial:)



Here's my Blue Coneflower Block 
that I showed you 
how to make in my video:)


for the tutorial on my
PURPLE CONEFLOWER BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the
CALICO STAR FLOWER BLOCK

to go to my tutorial for the
Morning Glory Blocks


to go to my tutorial for the 
PRIMROSE BLOCKS


to go to my tutorial for the 
RED ROSES and MUMS BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
Forget Me Not Block

to go to my tutorial for the
PICKET FENCE and GRASS BLOCKS


to go to my prepping tutorial for
HENS and ROOT VEGGIES

to go to my tutorial on the 
HOLLYHOCKS and 
RAKE and SHOVEL BLOCK


to go to my tutorial for the 
GARDEN GIRL

to go to my tutorial for the 
BEE SKEP BLOCK



to go to my tutorial for the  
TOMATOES BLOCK



Last week we made the

Click on the name of the blocks
 to go to these tutorials!



to go to my tutorial for the 
WHEEL BARROW BLOCK

 
for my tutorial on the
GARDEN TOOLS BLOCK
CLIMBING VINE BLOCK
BEES BLOCK

for my tutorial on the
"BUTTERFLY BLOCKS"
"SNAIL BLOCK"
"GARDEN BLOCK"

for my tutorial on making the 
"SEEDLINGS BLOCK"
"BLUE BIRD BLOCK"
and the...

"FRUIT BASKET BLOCK"


This week we are making three blocks
"BROWN BIRD BLOCK"
"SPOOL AND FLOWER BLOCKS"



Let's get started with the 
Brown Bird!


Here are my fabrics and Shapes 
for the Brown Bird Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!


Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:

1 - O-2
1 - O-43
1 - O-66
1 - 0-81
1 - O-82
1 - O-85
You will also need to cut a 
1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle
for the bird beak


You will need 2 pieces of 1 1/2" long 
prepared 1/4" straight bias
for the bird legs.

In addition you will need a 6" piece 
of prepared BIAS strip for the stem.
Press one end under. 


Cut your background  
10" x 10"


Just like with the other birds 
you will need to sew the two fabrics
 together and press the seams open...


Before you can sew the shape.


My shapes are sewn...
you will need to clip the cleavage
in the flower and the bird beak.
Clip the inner curve on the birds neck.



Pressed, shaped and ready to fly! 
Now let's go to the work table:)



First I glued on the wing and the 
flower and flower center together:)




I'm sure this goes without saying but 
when laying out the grass...
make sure you lay it onto the 
background straight with the print
 so it's not crooked when trimming up!
I pinned glued the legs about 
1/4" apart in the center of the grass.


Then I pinned the bird on with the legs 
finishing at 3/4" long...


And his tail feathers sticking 
out 1" past the grass. 


I glued the bird and the grass but
 before I glued the beak I 
tucked the end of the stem underneath:)


Then I pinned the flower.
I placed it even with the left bird leg
 and 7" up from the bottom of the grass.


Before glueing it I glued down the stem. 
Then I pinned the leaf 7 1/4" up
 from the bottom of the grass.



All pinned and glued...


And ready for applique:)




"BROWN BIRD BLOCK" 
After applique press from the back
 and trim it down to
8 1/2" x 8 1/2"


Well that was fun!
 Let's make the 
Spool and Flower Blocks next:)


Here are my fabrics and Shapes 
for the Spool and Flower Block all cut...
all traced and ready to go!


Here is a list of the
  Calico Garden 
Sew Simple Shapes 
needed for this block:

4 - O-1
2 - O-3
2 - O-20
2 - 0-63

You will need 4 - 1 1/2"
 fabric strips for the spools

You will also need to cut a 
1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle
for the thread in short spool
and a 
2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle
for the thread in the tall spool.


You will need 4 pieces of 1 1/2" long 
prepared 1/4" straight bias
and 1 - 2 1/2" and 1 - 3 1/2"
straight bias for the stems.


Cut both of your backgrounds  
6" x 10"


***TAKE NOTE***
You will need to trace the short spool
 1" shorter by using the lines 
on the shape that are 1" apart...
easy peasy!!
Then sew these strips together 
and press the seams open...


 Before you pin them and 
sew together with the interfacing:)

After shapes are sewn...
you will need to clip the cleavage
in both of the spools.


Pressed, shaped and ready! 
Look how cute those spools are:)


I decided it would be easier to
 sew on my buttons for the flower 
centers before I pinned and glued.


I chose from my big jar of buttons
 that I keep all six color way packages
 of my Cute Little Buttons.
In each different bag there are 
several different sizes and 
vintage styles...so I was 
sure to find some that would work!

These are the ones that I chose 
and I used matching thread from 
my Aurifil thread set to sew them on.
 

I started by pinning my short spool block.
It measures 7 1/2" tall...


And the leaves are 3 1/2" apart
 from side to side.


Next I added the small flowers 
and they are also 3 1/2" apart.
I trimmed the short stems 
on opposite angles so that I could 
tuck them under the center stem...


Like this:)
Then I pinned and glued everything...


And got started on the tall spool block.
This block is also 7 1/2" tall.


There are no leaves in this block
So it was time to add the small flowers.
Again...3 1/2" apart.
I trimmed the side stems in the same way
but saved the center stem till last
to show you a close up.


Everything in the tall spool block
 is all pinned and glued...


And both are ready for applique!





"SPOOL AND FLOWER BLOCKS"
After applique press them from the back
 and trim both blocks down to
4 1/2" x 8 1/2"


We have added 3 more blocks 
to the top row of our quilt:)
I love these pretty little blocks...
do you love them too?


Have fun making your blocks this week
and I'll be right back here next 
Monday with more tutorials...
Tulip-Pink Peony-Cabbage Blocks.
Until then...
Happy "Sowing"
xx
Lori

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails