Thursday, July 11, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 25 - Family Reunion!!!


Welcome back to 
the next episode of the


Today I'm sharing this vintage block
 from my grandma with you:)

Traditionally it's called 
Goose Tracks but I'm calling mine
Family Reunion!



We just recently had 
our yearly Family Reunion...
and just like every summer 
they really are my favorite:)
I get to see my Uncles and Aunts
 and cousins that I grew up with!

Family Reunions have always been
 a tradition in our family...
it was something that Grandma
 looked forward to and so did all of us.

Often we would go camping and 
spend a whole week 
with all of our relatives...
I have such good memories of that!

Our family reunions always included
 game playing...
story telling...
quilt making...
song singing.

We all did potluck and we also 
ate every meal together...
and the food was always good!
Every year was homemade root beer
 and hand cranked ice cream:)

Us kids had plenty of time
 to run loose and play 
while the adults visited:)


Of course I had to include
 a block called Family Reunion 
to go into our quilt!






I'm continuing to use 
Farm Girl Vintage Fabric 
and still having a 
lot of fun with the 
endless color and print combination:)



These are the prints
 that I chose for my 
Family Reunion Block.



I'm using my yellow circles print 
from Bee Backgrounds:) 
From the background 
you will need to cut:
20 - 2 1/2" squares



From this one cut:
4 - 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangles



From the green cut:
4 - 4 1/2" squares



From the yellow cut:
4 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
4 - 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"



From the aqua cut:
4 - 2 1/2" squares
4 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles


From this red cut:
1 - 2 1/2" square


Start with 4 background squares
 and the aqua pieces...



And turn them into this!
You should have 4 
and each should measure 
4 1/2" square at this point.

Now grab 8 more background squares...



Add an easy corner triangle 
onto each side of the 
opposite aqua corners.

Mark your sewing line from 
corner to corner or use the 



Y'all know the drill by now...
Trim and press!
Your segments should still 
measure 4 1/2" square at this point.
Now set them aside for a minute:)



You will need the 
remaining background squares 
to add an easy corner triangle onto
 the top of the yellow rectangles...



Just like this.
The rectangles should still measure
 the original size that you cut them...
they just have a triangle at the end:)



Now add them to the aqua segment...



Like this:)
All four segments should now
 measure 6 1/2" square at this point.



Now we are going to add 
the green squares onto the bottom 
where the yellow rectangles meet.



Draw a line from corner to corner 
and sew directly onto the line.



I like to place a pin halfway in
 just at the place where the 
point underneath is 
so that I sew in exactly 
the right spot across it...



Just like this:)



Now to trim...
and cut two squares from the leftovers!



Now your segments are complete...
and they should still
 measure 6 1/2" square:)


It's time to lay out 
your block and sew it together!



So cute and scrappy happy:)



Here's the back of my block so that you can see how I pressed it.


FAMILY REUNION
should measure 14 1/2" square 
before we sew it into our quilt.

I hope you have as much fun sewing this traditional vintage block as I did:)



Next week I will be
 on vacation and so that means 
we will skip next Thursday:)

That will give y'all a vacation too 
or another week to catch up...
whichever point you are in the 
Vintage Block Along.
Meet me right back here
 on Thursday the 25th 
after I get back:)
xx
Lori

If you are just joining us...
click on each block that we have
 done so far to go to the tutorial:


8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers








1 comment:

RhoniAnn said...

Love this big block! Brings back great memories as a kid growing up in Arkansas when the our scattered family would drive in from out of state for a long week of visiting, games, swimming and food. As a kids my brother and I were more interested in our cousins who were coming to visit, as being the youngest two there was always a huge age gap between us and the older cousins who did live close. Oh, and what kind of pies there were to eat, my family had to have held some of the best cooks in the world.
(I later got a younger cousin and BFF, which no longer made me the baby of the family)
The year that sticks out the most was when I was about 10 or 11 and my Mom's older two brothers with their families and my Dad's parents and brother drove in from California. A couple of Gram's brothers and two sister-in-law's from Grandpa Bob's side of the family came in from Oklahoma. One of my Uncle Loyd made a mushball and we moved Gram's cattle to the back field over the railroad tracks so we could play a mushball game in the front pasture. I don't think I can remember a time when there was ever that amount of laughter and all around love at Gram's house. Now, don't get me wrong there was always love and laughter at Gram's but that summer was something special. Indeed!
Thanks for the block and the fond memories of my childhood and making me cry happy tears and a few tears for those that I dearly miss.
I believe you might have missed the center block, which I figured to measure 2-1/2" sq.

Related Posts with Thumbnails