Thursday, September 12, 2019

Vintage Block Along - Week 32 - September Star!!


Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit:)

It's Week 32 in our 



Today I'm sharing yet another
 classic vintage block from 
my grandma's pattern basket.





I'm using Farm Girl Vintage fabric
 and one of my Bee Backgrounds 
for today's block.



This is a traditional vintage star block 
and I'm calling mine 
September Star

When I was growing up...
September meant going back to
 school because for us
 summer ended after Labor Day weekend.


Grandma played a BIG part in our
 schooling and she often said that she thought it would have been
 rewarding to be a teacher.
And she really would have been a good one!

She especially loved all subjects
 and I remember reading so many 
of my reports to her
for her correction and approval:)

Approval from grandma meant a lot to me
 and I often wrote my papers to
 impress her instead of my teachers...
haha ...
because I knew if I impressed her
 that my teachers would
 give me a good grade.

I remember after reading them
 to my parents...they would give me their help too of course...
and then Mom would say
 "okay...run over and read it
 to Mama and see what she thinks:)

(both of my parents called their parents 
Mama and Daddy their entire lives)


Okay!
Long story not so short...
that's why I've chosen 
to do this block today and to 
call it September Star:)

Let's get started!




From the background cut:
4 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
8 - 2 1/2" squares 



From this print for the corners cut:
4 - 2 1/2" squares



For the center cut:
1 - 4 1/2" square



For the star points cut:
8 - 2 1/2" squares



Start by adding an easy corner triangle onto each side of the rectangles.



Mark a line or use the 



You will need to trim and press one side first before you can add the other.



You should have 4 flying geese units that measure 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"



Now add an ECT onto 
each corner of the center square.



You will need to add these two
 first before you can add the other two.



You should have one 
square in a square unit 
that measures 4 1/2" square

 

It's time to lay your pieces out
 like this and sew your star together.


Now you can add the corners...



So cute!!!
For some reason I forgot to
 take a photo of the back of my block...
but I pressed all of my seams open 
except for the corners:)



September Star 
should measure 8 1/2" square BEFORE
 we sew it into our big beautiful quilt:)



Thanks for visiting with me today 
about school days...
more grandma memories and 
another vintage block!

I'll see you back here 
in two weeks for more:)
xx
Lori


If you are just joining us...
click on each block that we have
 done so far to go to the tutorial:


8. Humble
15. Memory
19. Picnic
20. Sparklers
26. Parade
30. Leftovers
31. Peony

1 comment:

Jeanne Sullivan said...

Love this block, Lori! So happy you explained about the seams at the end. Why is it that I always want to see the back?? Haha! Must be a throwback...I'm remembering my own grandma wanting to check out the back of my handwork. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails